[ Feature request ] In Max4Live – add note timestamp outlet

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
nonchai

[ Feature request ] In Max4Live – add note timestamp outlet

Post by nonchai » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:09 pm

When using Max For Live and working with incoming MIDI Note on/off events that are coming into a Max patch form a triggered MIDI clip it is currently very hard to figure out what the note timing position was – relative to the clip loop start. we have to put together complex patches – use observers etc…

If instead – each MIDI note that originates from an Ableton clip being played currently had with it – when the MIDI info is sent from Ableton to Max – also the time stamp in the same format as how it is represented data-wise in the Max4Live LOM – clip get_selected_notes function – and if this time info was shown via extra outlets in the MIDIPARSE object things would be SO much easier – and avoid use of imprecise observers on clips too.

FYI – the function playing_position is not accurate enough

Here is a FR to the Max people ( of course this requires both sides to tango ! )

https://cycling74.com/forums/topic/feat ... ost-347867

RadioOnMars

Re: [ Feature request ] In Max4Live – add note timestamp outlet

Post by RadioOnMars » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:57 am

You can get the contents of a clip via M4L, this includes the note evnt times. I have something working on this. So if you are happy to have MIDI events handed to you ahead of time, this could be a way?

The timing of actual played MIDI events is probably accurate to the audio buffer size. Just as in Max, every 1msec the message thread is called, in Max for Live, the update happens at the end of the audio buffer. This could then be converted into a beat time. I guess you are doing something like this?

dataf1ow

Re: [ Feature request ] In Max4Live – add note timestamp outlet

Post by dataf1ow » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Like I said over on the cycling forums not likely to happen. I don't see them changing their MIDI implementation to include some non standard data format. But if it's in a MIDI clip, why not get the information via some other means? As Radio On Mars suggested? there's plenty of Clip operations that can get you note timing.