Pitch analysis

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
HotLoveDrama

Pitch analysis

Post by HotLoveDrama » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:24 pm

I've just seen this device available for free. The description says:

Pitch Tracker – This device uses the retune~ object to perform some pitch tracking from monophonic input sound. The detected pitch can be monitored using a simple monophonic synthesizer. The estimated pitch and velocity are transformed into MIDI notes, which can be sent to other devices using the MIDI outlet when the device is used in Max. In Live, we use a special MIDI-side-chaining device, called "Max MIDI Receiver," in order to catch MIDI data from other devices such as the present one.

I've been searching a way to layer a bass guitar with some sub bass synth on Ableton. Do you think this would work ? tracking the bass in Ableton and sending the received notes in another track with midi ?

Thanks!

stringtapper

Re: Pitch analysis

Post by stringtapper » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:08 am

What's wrong with the Audio-to-MIDI feature that's native to Live 9?

Or are you talking about triggering a MIDI instrument live through pitch tracking?
Unsound Designer

HotLoveDrama

Post by HotLoveDrama » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:30 pm

stringtapper wrote:What's wrong with the Audio-to-MIDI feature that's native to Live 9?

Or are you talking about triggering a MIDI instrument live through pitch tracking?

Yes that's what I meant. I want to test it myself but can't until saturday so I was wondering if someone already used it like this and if the pitch tracking is reliable enough to be used like this.

I heard that midi devices on bass guitar are not really good so this solution could be an alternative ...

HotLoveDrama

Post by HotLoveDrama » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Just tried today. It seems like the pitch tracking is quick enough to use it with a bass guitar. But the problem was more for actually properly sending this notes as midi data.

Basically the setup was: Bass guitar -> Audio track with Pitch tracker -> Midi track with the MidiReceiver device -> Bass synth

The bass synth was receiving the midi notes but it seems that the pitch tracker was really too sensible detecting 3-4 notes when one was played. I tried to tweak around but didn't find the right setting.

Is there some more precise instructions for this device ?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:29 pm

You're likely having the same problem that you've heard that "midi devices on bass guitar" have. That being that the longer waves produced by bass strings are inherently tougher to track.

The "3–4 notes" you're getting from the synth could be the tracker picking up the fundamental plus the first couple of harmonics, or maybe not the fundamental at all and only harmonics (I have no way to tell without seeing which MIDI notes it's triggering).
Unsound Designer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Check out Jam Origins MIDI Guitar app, I believe it supports bass now too and is incredibly accurate. Perfect for what you're trying to do.

HotLoveDrama

Post by HotLoveDrama » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:23 am

stringtapper wrote:You're likely having the same problem that you've heard that "midi devices on bass guitar" have. That being that the longer waves produced by bass strings are inherently tougher to track.

The "3–4 notes" you're getting from the synth could be the tracker picking up the fundamental plus the first couple of harmonics, or maybe not the fundamental at all and only harmonics (I have no way to tell without seeing which MIDI notes it's triggering).
Yes I guess that's the problem. I'm just wondering if there is some way to tweak the parameters to make it work with a bass guitar.
Apparently IRCAMAX did a bunch of presets for their device but I don't know if there is one for a bass guitar and I'm not ready to pay 150$ to find out. (http://forumnet.ircam.fr/product/ircama ... tion-2-en/)

I'll got check Jam Origin although 100$ for a full version of one device is kinda expensive ...