Sending Dummy Clip Data to an M4L Device? (Reaktor or M4L)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
mylkoa

Sending Dummy Clip Data to an M4L Device? (Reaktor or M4L)

Post by mylkoa » Sun May 01, 2016 2:19 am

Hello,

Basic question here... I can record dummy clip MIDI data, such as note sequences and CC movements, and then "send" that dummy clip data to a VST instrument in a separate track. Can I do the same with an M4L device? This is done easily with a VST by opening the in/out view and adjusting the routing accordingly...

But I tried something similar with a common M4L device, like the "audioratepan.amxd" and the dummy track won't route to it... are there ways that it can? How "hard" is it to accomplish things like that?

I'm asking because I have already had some success with using VSTs and dummy clips in my workflow, and now I'm trying to build a custom, playable FX unit (similar to Artillery), and I have to choose whether I should learn how to do it in Reaktor or in M4L.

Thanks,

dataf1ow

Re: Sending Dummy Clip Data to an M4L Device? (Reaktor or M4L)

Post by dataf1ow » Tue May 03, 2016 12:54 pm

mylkoa wrote: But I tried something similar with a common M4L device, like the "audioratepan.amxd" and the dummy track won't route to i
Not really sure what you mean here. You can't select the track that the device is on in the MIDI TO menu? Or the device doesn't respond the way you expect?

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Tue May 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Yes. I want to know how difficult it is to route automation data from a dummy clip to a Max device on another track.

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Tue May 03, 2016 1:25 pm

Haha, always great to answer an 'A' or 'B' question with a 'yes'.

Its as difficult as routing automation data from a dummy clip to any device on another track.

What I meant was - what exactly is the problem? M4L devices function just as all other devices. If it is an M4L instrument or MIDI effect it will receive MIDI. If it is an Audio Effect it will receive audio. Are you asking about having an Audio Effect receive MIDI?

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Tue May 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Oh, sorry, I missed the second question... or maybe I subconsciously ignored it, because as far as I know:
it's not possible to route dummy MIDI clip data to a Live audio effect device in a separate track.
...if I'm wrong about this, then I would be very grateful to know.

Forgive me if my message isn't coming through... let me try this way of communicating:
1) Make MIDI track with an instance of Operator on it. This will be the "Operator Track"
2) Add the M4L device "Buffer Shuffler" to the "Operator Track"
3) Create a blank MIDI track. This will be called the "Dummy Control Track"
4) Open the In/Out view, try to route the MIDI from the "Dummy Control Track" to the Buffer Shuffler in the "Operator Track"....
From what I can tell...It is not possible.

However, it is possible to route dummy clip data to a VST effect...

For example, if you repeat the steps above, but used an instance of "Reaktor FX" or "Artillery2"... it IS possible to route dummy clip data to the VSTs from the "Dummy Control Track"....

Also, I own a copy of Isotnik's Oktopush template, and it works on some different principles, but it uses an M4L audio device, and does some pretty interesting things with routing MIDI between tracks in Live... so I'm led to believe it IS possible to route MIDI to an M4L device from a dummy track... but it takes some nitty-gritty programming to do it.

It basically comes down to this: Artillery does exactly what I want - key triggered Audio FX that I can record dummy clip automation for, but Artillery can only use the FX that it has built-in, and Reaktor and M4L have way more interesting sounding FX... but I haven't figured out a way to make Reaktor FX and the M4L FX as easily key-controlled as Artillery is... so I'm trying to figure out if I should try to learn how to do it through Reaktor, or through M4L.

Cheers,

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Tue May 03, 2016 2:19 pm

I don't think it's possible. unless you can make a virtual MIDI port in M4L(as far as I know you can not do this). But you CAN use dummy clips to send data to a M4L device. You need two devices, but it can be done.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue May 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi There,

It is indeed possible as you're right we do it with OktoPush... You have to be restrictive with what you want to do though...

For your example you'd need to create a dummy device on the MIDI track with a separate control for each element of automation you want to send...

Then using a global send object you could forward everything to the Buffer SHuffler which would need a Global Receive object...

I'd prepend all of the messages sent with some description and then route them the other end just for cleanness...

Cheers
D

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Tue May 03, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks, D!

If I try building this, you might hear from me again :)

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Tue May 03, 2016 2:55 pm

S4racen wrote:Hi There,

It is indeed possible
You're being a tad misleading here. It is NOT possible to have the same MIDI TO functionality as Reaktor (or other audio VST that can accept MIDI input on an Audio track) from a M4L device.

You can send data between M4L devices, but that wasn't really the question....

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Tue May 03, 2016 3:10 pm

dataf1ow wrote:It is NOT possible to have the same MIDI TO functionality as Reaktor (or other audio VST that can accept MIDI input on an Audio track) from a M4L device. You can send data between M4L devices, but that wasn't really the question....
That's helpful info... thanks!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue May 03, 2016 3:12 pm

dataf1ow wrote:
S4racen wrote:Hi There,

It is indeed possible
You're being a tad misleading here. It is NOT possible to have the same MIDI TO functionality as Reaktor (or other audio VST that can accept MIDI input on an Audio track) from a M4L device.

You can send data between M4L devices, but that wasn't really the question....
But it is the answer....

Cheers
D

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Tue May 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Touché :D

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue May 03, 2016 3:34 pm

It should be so simple though to have a way of intercepting cc automation data and have it sent elsewhere though!

My solution is a very long workaround and totally inflexible....

Cheers
D

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue May 03, 2016 10:06 pm

mylkoa wrote: route the MIDI from the "Dummy Control Track" to the Buffer Shuffler
Does Buffer Shuffler respond to MIDI and/or automation? If so, any automation should be able to be sent to it. I use the MFL device Sixten Macros 2.0 from Covert Operators currently when I need to use this myself. It's acceptable when controlled from from a MIDI controller, but takes some setting up.
Make some music!

mylkoa

Post by mylkoa » Wed May 04, 2016 1:00 pm

Stromkraft wrote:Does Buffer Shuffler respond to MIDI and/or automation? If so, any automation should be able to be sent to it. I use the MFL device Sixten Macros 2.0 from Covert Operators currently when I need to use this myself. It's acceptable when controlled from from a MIDI controller, but takes some setting up.
Sixteen macros won't accept MIDI from a dummy track, but thanks for the suggestion.