MIDI to effects inserted after instruments using M4L

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
KTlin

MIDI to effects inserted after instruments using M4L

Post by KTlin » Mon May 02, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi guys

One of my biggest problem with Ableton Live (and other DAWs) was always the fact that it doesn't transmit MIDI data to the effects placed after an instrument on a MIDI track. This is extremely annoying. There are a lot of FX plugins that features powerful modulation capabilities, like controlling a lot of parameters with the ModWheel, Aftertouch, Velocity, Expression Pedal and CCs, but I can't do that because the MIDI data don't get to the effects. I know there are workarounds, like creating another MIDI track and send its output to the effect plugin, and so, but these workaround are a pita.

So I was wondering if there is a Max4Live device that I could place on a MIDI track, before the instrument, and it would transmit all the MIDI data it receives from the input to the FX plugins placed after the instrument.

Cheers

dataf1ow

Re: MIDI to effects inserted after instruments using M4L

Post by dataf1ow » Tue May 03, 2016 12:34 pm

You can't directly send MIDI to audio effect plugins in Live (as far as I know), and MIDI map as you would with a controller, even with M4L. You can either route MIDI out and back in with a virtual MIDI port and another MIDI track, or use the Live API to control plugin parameters that are exposed by the plugin.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue May 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Or use udpsend/receive and format to MIDI ? Would it possibly work ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Tue May 03, 2016 1:20 pm

I don't think that's the solution. The issue is getting the MIDI to the effect. UDP just adds an unnecessary translation step. It doesn't address the problem of how to talk to the device on the track.

KTlin

Post by KTlin » Tue May 03, 2016 2:53 pm

Thanks for the help, guys!
dataf1ow wrote:You can't directly send MIDI to audio effect plugins in Live (as far as I know), and MIDI map as you would with a controller, even with M4L.
I see. I find it really weird that they don't allow the effects plugin to receive midi data if they're placed after an instruments, especially considering that the effect plugin will receive midi data if there's no instrument inserted before them!

Cheers