'export max for live device' is grayed out in max project

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: 'export max for live device' is grayed out in max project

Post by [jur] » Mon May 23, 2016 7:02 pm

Do you own Max or M4L, or both?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Ernest Meyer

Post by Ernest Meyer » Mon May 23, 2016 9:23 pm

I own Max 7 perpetual license and Live 9 Standard. After installing Windows 10 64-bit and reinstalling Live 9 64bit, I made one projects where the option is not grayed out. However on attempting to build a live file, it ripped my gen~ objects to shreds and replaced them with the default empty objects containing only two inputs, one output, and an add. Thankfully I had learned from prior experience with Max 6 +gen license to make thorough backups, so I did not lose any work this time. I tried replacing the gen~ objects from backups, and it crashed repeatedly for 4 hours. I can build a standalone with no problems and even include external files successfully. So I made a new project and painstakingly rebuilt it from scratch. The second project grays out the option to build at all. I am reticent to reinstall Max because I have version 7.2.1 working successfully and deleted the install package. Since then I discovered Cycling74 no longer provides prior interim versions on its site and now only has version 7.2.3, which is substantially different and, from prior experience, may no longer build a standalone. So I am wondering if there is something else I can do which could stop the option from being grayed out.

Ernest Meyer

Post by Ernest Meyer » Mon May 23, 2016 11:40 pm

What I found is that I did indeed have to reinstall Max, after which the option was no longer grayed out. Max hangs for several minutes on first opening, and then after reconfiguring the audio driver again, it started working.