Time & Timbre questions

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
mzero

Time & Timbre questions

Post by mzero » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:07 pm

I purchased T&T during the recent Ableton sale... and then was please to get the immediate update. I love the functionality, and especially the drum sounds, and ability to manipulate them so dramatically either by hand or by LFO...

Two questions:

1) This is the first thing I've added to my set that bumps my CPU usage into questional territory. Admittedly, I've used only simple M4L midi devices before and Granulator II. But before I could run ~12 tracks of Live instruments and effects with say one Granulator II in the mix - and never hit 20% CPU. I add T&T to that set and I'm over 50% hitting 60% - which is enough that occasionally the whole set stutters. I find have to convert Time's sequences to clips and turn off Time... and even then a drum rack with 6 Timbre instruments can push the CPU usage to worry levels. Is this expected? Do most M4L audio devices use this much? I have a dual 1.8GHz i7 Mac and until T&T I never thought it underpowered.

2) Any chance of getting the Push style integration for Launchpad Pro?

sbx

Re: Time & Timbre questions

Post by sbx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:18 pm

hey mzero!

this cpu usage does not sound right, can you send me a self contained set so i can check to support (....) skinnerbox.de ?

about the launchpad, we have no plans of doing that at the moment, but we are looking to this option,

best

iftah

mzero

Post by mzero » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:03 am

Sorry took so long to get back... vacation (w/o laptop!) and then first album release.... BUT - seems to have resolved itself after the last OS update (10.11.6). I'm not at all sure that it was really correlated with that update, but things seem settled now.

It is still the case that running six Timbre instruments costs about 12% of my CPU, and adding Time adds a rather variable amount of time from about 5% to 12%. That is high, but within the CPU headroom I've got. I'll keep an eye on it, and see if I can find a more stable (and stand alone) example of CPU usage.

Meanwhile, I'm all good, and frankly I love Timbre - wish I could run 20 of them at once! And have many more presets than just A&B!

As for Launchpad Pro support for Time... I'd be willing to put in some effort on it if that would help (I'm a software engineer by day...)

mzero

Post by mzero » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Note, when I open a Live set with serveral Timbre instruments, I see this in the Max for Live console:

Code: Select all

Timbre • BassDrum v1.053 by skinnerbox
live.object • Live API is not initialized, use live.thisdevice to determine when initialization is complete
The last line is repeated 18 times, and then I see the whole set for each instrument (Snare, HiHat - twice as I have two, Cymbal). Then I see:

Code: Select all

live.path • component '0' is not an object
hello • we are skinnerbox and this is Time v1.5
Gen working in runtime mode
I suspect this isn't an issue so much, but thought you might want to know. Live 9.6.1, Max 7.2.4

mzero

Post by mzero » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:14 am

Another small bug: TnT Cymbal, the volume isn't MIDI mappable. The volume on all the other TnT drums is.