Max For Live devices - knobs not working, no sound output

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
thermalrust

Max For Live devices - knobs not working, no sound output

Post by thermalrust » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:43 am

I'm currently having a very difficult time with Max devices, a problem that consists of three main parts as far as I can tell:

- If a Max device is in a track or rack, it basically blocks any audio from passing through. This includes if a Max instrument is used- it will not generate audio.

- Knobs and other parameters on Max devices will not change visibly as they are adjusted (either by mouse, keyboard or MIDI controller). Once a different device is clicked on elsewhere in Live, the the knob or parameter updates visually to the new value, but still, no audio can pass through and no effect occurs.

- No effects of a Max device take place, regardless of if they are audio-related. For example, loading a project with MultiMap device that is already mapped to various parameters- it will not adjust the affected parameters when the knob is turned, and those affected parameters which previously were locked to the MultiMap device are now 'unlocked' and no longer greyed out.

This is for all Max devices, not just ones from Packs.

This has happened to me once or twice awhile back just before playing a show, but was relatively infrequent. At this point, it is happening everyday. Closing and re-opening Live doesn't change anything. I have tried reinstalling Ableton and Max, updating to the newest versions (I was just 0.0.1 version behind on each program when this started to occur on a serious daily basis). After some reinstallations, it is not solved. Other times, it is solved, but then breaks again after a few hours.

I have a large tour coming up in 10 days and my live setup is fairly dependent on using some utilities such as MultiMap and a few Max synth instruments. This was working for months as I worked on the music, and now that it's crunch time, I can't figure out what to do.

I am on Windows 10, both programs are 64-bit.

If anything similar to this has happened to anyone, or you have any suggestions/fixes, please let me know!

Thank you

st1040

Re: Max For Live devices - knobs not working, no sound output

Post by st1040 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Hi had the same problem as you, not the audio part just the visuals not updating, also the convolution reverb not loading with preset impulses (dont know if you have tried loading this reverb up to see what happens)
I had the old 6.1 Max still on my hard drive and just pointed via Live's Preference - File/Folder and selected this older version and everything is working
The joys of updating 8O

You should tell tech support I'm going to send something through, hope i've helped. Phil

thermalrust

Post by thermalrust » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi Phil, interesting to hear. I think the audio not passing through and visuals not updating are not totally related, as sometimes just the visual issue has happened too, like with your situation.

I talked with support and they recommended going back to Max 7.2.1 - strangely enough the issues have not occurred since we have started talking so I'm hesitant to install it and risk opening the can of worms once again.

Next time this happens, I will check on the Convolution Reverb and see if impulses will load. Pretty sure they won't, as every other Max device I've tried when this happens just doesn't work at all.

st1040

Post by st1040 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi Thermalrust, just one thing to mention you can have as many different versions of Max installed on your hard drive (if you go to the Max site there is an achieve of all previous versions) as you want and just point Live's preferences (as I mentioned above) to sort your problems out, so your not installing anything into live as (i think) Max works in conjunction/parallel with Live . Don't know if I'm going over stuff again
:D best of luck with the up and coming gigs.

st1040

Post by st1040 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:08 pm

Just noticed Max on my user account says 7.2.4 up from 7.2.3 might have new bug fixes??

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:29 pm

I just logged here to find a fix for this issue :( No luck yet?

I can get some free convolution reverb quickly (deadline!), but LFO is quite unique to M4L.