LFO to PAN causing clicking/popping

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
whitelobster

LFO to PAN causing clicking/popping

Post by whitelobster » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Hello

I am currently trying to set a max for live lfo to control panning on a track in ableton. I have tried the midi and audio based LFO, tried applying to the primary track PAN as well as the PAN on an ableton Filter Delay. No matter what I do I seem to get constant popping/clicking ontop of the audio signal being panned (must be a smooth sound like a voice to notice). The popping seems to be lessened if the rate of te LFO controlling the PAN is lowered however clicking and popping still occurs as long as the two are linked. I have also tried playing with ableton latency settings which seem to have no effect on reducing or increasing the frequency of these pops/clicks.

I have also tried running the control signal in MAX through slide~ and rampsmooth~ objects but this doesn't seem to have any effect

Is anyone aware of a way to link up a max for live device to control PAN without this constant subtle popping/clicking?

I'm running ableton in windows 10 on a surface 4 pro

Thanks!

Angstrom

Re: LFO to PAN causing clicking/popping

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:40 pm

daft question: why not use the native AutoPan device? It will be lighter on resources.

whitelobster

Re: LFO to PAN causing clicking/popping

Post by whitelobster » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Angstrom wrote:daft question: why not use the native AutoPan device? It will be lighter on resources.

Hi Angstrom,

My end goal is to use XY input from an LCD object in a max for live patch. I am just speaking about it in terms of an LFO here in the forum since not everyone has my LCD patch and the lfo behaves identically in terms of these clicks/pops