Trying to use ConnectionKit TouchOSC Max for Live with Lemur

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
JayDeLux

Trying to use ConnectionKit TouchOSC Max for Live with Lemur

Post by JayDeLux » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Hello,

I am trying to use OSC instead of MIDI to control Ableton with Lemur.
I am just not familiar at all with OSC, let alone ConnectionKit TouchOSC.
I installed TouchOSC on Ableton but don't understand what I need to do next to make it work.
Would any one of you happen to be using OSC with Lemur and ConnectionKit TouchOSC?
Can you point me to a step by step article maybe?

Thanks in advance.
JayDeLux. https://soundcloud.com/jaydelux-1
Ableton, Push, APC40Mk2, LIVID-DS1, Roland JD-Xi, Arduino things

JayDeLux

Re: Trying to use ConnectionKit TouchOSC Max for Live with Lemur

Post by JayDeLux » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:42 pm

I spent some more time and still no success.
Have any of you gotten TouchOSC to work?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:42 am

Yep, I use touchosc all the time, but not with the Ableton kit - I started using it with a pack I got off Isotonik. Since then I have made my own OSC devices because I need specific things and I want them all packaged up together. I've not really had a need to use Ableton's example devices in the connection kit so can't comment on them too much.
I suggest if you are really struggling with the Ableton stuff then perhaps the Isotonik pack might be the way to go?

The only real steps to setting up OSC for TouchOSC are ..
  1. make sure the devices are connected to the same local network.
  2. Find out the IP addresses of both devices, in my case my desktop is 192.168.0.8 and my iPad is 192.168.0.6
  3. In touch OSC "Connections" start up screen, click on the line which shows the IP address, this will take you to ..
  4. TouchOSC OSC page, set host = in my case 192.168.0.8
  5. Set ports, for me Outgoing = 9000, incoming = 9001
  6. Go back to the main Touch osc page and click on Layout. Doesnt matter what layout yet.
  7. In Live find the device which is meant to be sending OSC
  8. set its destination IP to 192.168.0.6, set its outgoing port to 9001
  9. If there is some kind of "test" button click it and see what the iPad indicator on TouchOSC shows in the top right corner.
that's the basics.
after that you just need to make sure your parameter names are correct.
So if you are sending "mydial" out of port 9001 then in TouchOSC you need something watching "mydial", but watch out for auto-appended prefixes such as "/m4l/mydial "

to check what Live is sending out there is an OSC monitor device you can use from teh connection kit, to test what you are sending from Live you can temporarily point your test sending device at the Live computer's own IP address (so the device is pointing straight back at Live's own IP and incoming port) and the monitor will show if you are sending anything at all.

OSC is a wonderful thing if you get it working.

JayDeLux

Post by JayDeLux » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:23 pm

Thank you, I will give it another try based on your instructions.

JayDeLux

Post by JayDeLux » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:28 am

Hello, I though I'd give you an update and another question, it would help.
I managed to make ConnectionKit TouchOSC work with my Lemur on iPad.
It works but I am facing this new frustrating issue:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=226539

Any idea? Thank you.

JayDeLux

Post by JayDeLux » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:27 pm

Angstrom wrote:Yep, I use touchosc all the time, but not with the Ableton kit - I started using it with a pack I got off Isotonik. Since then I have made my own OSC devices because I need specific things and I want them all packaged up together. I've not really had a need to use Ableton's example devices in the connection kit so can't comment on them too much.
I suggest if you are really struggling with the Ableton stuff then perhaps the Isotonik pack might be the way to go?

The only real steps to setting up OSC for TouchOSC are ..
  1. make sure the devices are connected to the same local network.
  2. Find out the IP addresses of both devices, in my case my desktop is 192.168.0.8 and my iPad is 192.168.0.6
  3. In touch OSC "Connections" start up screen, click on the line which shows the IP address, this will take you to ..
  4. TouchOSC OSC page, set host = in my case 192.168.0.8
  5. Set ports, for me Outgoing = 9000, incoming = 9001
  6. Go back to the main Touch osc page and click on Layout. Doesnt matter what layout yet.
  7. In Live find the device which is meant to be sending OSC
  8. set its destination IP to 192.168.0.6, set its outgoing port to 9001
  9. If there is some kind of "test" button click it and see what the iPad indicator on TouchOSC shows in the top right corner.
that's the basics.
after that you just need to make sure your parameter names are correct.
So if you are sending "mydial" out of port 9001 then in TouchOSC you need something watching "mydial", but watch out for auto-appended prefixes such as "/m4l/mydial "

to check what Live is sending out there is an OSC monitor device you can use from teh connection kit, to test what you are sending from Live you can temporarily point your test sending device at the Live computer's own IP address (so the device is pointing straight back at Live's own IP and incoming port) and the monitor will show if you are sending anything at all.

OSC is a wonderful thing if you get it working.
Thank you for your very detailed explanation and enthusiasm.
Out of exasperation I got the "OSCular Series" from Isotonik (instead of 'TouchOSC' ConnectionKit).
With "OSCular Series" the OSC messages are received from Lemur as expected, all the time, regardless I restarted Live or the laptop, not troubleshooting needed,I don't have to care about it anymore, it just works.

Incredible how the two look alike, as if they were developed by the same people almost. It now works like a charm
Shame I waited a lot of precious time trying to get friends with ConnectionKit, I think the thing is bugged but I don't know Max4Live enough to try to fix it.

Going forward I'd like to add extra lines of mapping to OSCmultiParamReceiver. Right now we can only map 6 parameters, it would be great to add 6 more, will look into this when the time allows... unless you have a quick solution :-)