Transient Machines - I recommend this one

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
downfader

Transient Machines - I recommend this one

Post by downfader » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Had a bit of time to play with this now, having bought it just over a week back. Has some great control on the usual drum loops. Acoustic drums work best, but if someone has put a bit of fx on an electro set that can come out with some nice sounds (eg the brittle 909 samples I had came out quite HipHop-y in nature).

I've tried it on more percussive synths too and that can give a nice tube/valve like quality to the bottom end.

Dull sounding Hihats and claps can be shaped quite nicely into a more airy quality.

The only downside I've had is that opening the effects up has crashed Live twice, but I 'spose out of 30 or so uses thats not too bad. I'd like to see someone take the Transient Machines idea and put it in a ping pong style delay so that the transients shift as the echoes chime.

fabrice segura

Re: Transient Machines - I recommend this one

Post by fabrice segura » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:49 am

i love using this effect. the sound is good

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:18 pm

With both Transient Master and TransX in my arsenal I find it hard to warrant another Max For Live device. When it's released as a VST plug-in I'd contemplate it.
Make some music!

downfader

Post by downfader » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Stromkraft wrote:With both Transient Master and TransX in my arsenal I find it hard to warrant another Max For Live device. When it's released as a VST plug-in I'd contemplate it.
Yeah if you've got tools that already work that understandable.

maky355

Post by maky355 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Stromkraft wrote:With both Transient Master and TransX in my arsenal I find it hard to warrant another Max For Live device. When it's released as a VST plug-in I'd contemplate it.
I tried TransX in past and found it quite good sounding and intuitive. Especially multiband. Can Transient Machines replace it? Transient Machines is on my radar for a while. How is the CPU hit and stability?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:03 pm

maky355 wrote:
I tried TransX in past and found it quite good sounding and intuitive. Especially multiband. Can Transient Machines replace it? Transient Machines is on my radar for a while. How is the CPU hit and stability?
I haven't tried Transient Machines yet so couldn't tell you. But I'm not that satisfied with the performance of Magnetic lately. I think it's a Max For Live thing, but it turns me off from using more MFL devices beside MIDI. Of course, a delay is probably more demanding than a transient device, at least when I'm using it, so this may not affect TM.

Lately I'm looking to do inverse transients, i e make room in other tracks for an instrument rather than add transients on top of it. Think superfast compression. I'm not finished evaluating the tools for that.
Make some music!

braduro

Post by braduro » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:20 pm

I find it very lean. Crack is designed more as a utility. And it helps to think of the input/output stage as the first things to listen for should you decide your sound would be better served with Impact. You might not even need the output mixing stage, then only shaping needs to be engaged. They both manage CPU very judiciously. I have the Dub Machines, and they've never given me a problem, although they're strictly relegated to the studio-not live stage trickery.

So far, crack has saved me from retakes, as a compressor. The flexibility of Impact is daunting. It helps to know your x-over frequencies and sonically what you're trying to accomplish, whether that's a creative effect or repair. And listen in on the mix. There might be a sweet spot to your ears, but it's only in context that some adjustment really serves the song.

The pack is definitely the low-hanging fruit of the recent offerings....

maky355

Post by maky355 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:21 am

Do these plugins add delay in to a path? Do they use oversampling etc?

stkr

Post by stkr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 am

hi there @maky355.

no, neither device introduces any latency. they make use of differential real time enveloping technique, and the optional limiter is not a lookahead, in order to give us the classic clipping distortion 'thwack' (which is sort of oversampled).

all the best.

maky355

Post by maky355 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:56 am

stkr wrote:hi there @maky355.

no, neither device introduces any latency. they make use of differential real time enveloping technique, and the optional limiter is not a lookahead, in order to give us the classic clipping distortion 'thwack' (which is sort of oversampled).

all the best.
Yeah i know. Few days after your response i purchased it.

You make some crazy stuff which sounds great. I use Crack maximizer all the time. I noticed it does sound very much like Cubase Maximizer - which os great for me because i couldn't replicate Cubase Maximizer with any other plugin up until now. I love that kinda "congested" character in your maximizer.

I noticed that rarely and really randomly i am getting crashes with Crack (i don't use impact for now). It's really hard because i can't isolate it. Sometimes i run empty session and just by dragging your Crack in to session is making live crash. Then after that i start live and i can drag it 30 times no crashes...really weird.

Or it may just be M4L shenanigans. But i recall your Dub tape plugin was also kinda buggy in the beginning but now it's super stable..

Anyway i wanted to tell here that these devices truly sound exceptional and Maximizer is a bonus to me - a good one.

Once when these are 100% stable it will be total win for me.

stkr

Post by stkr » Sat May 13, 2017 11:58 am

hi @maky355.

Really pleased to hear you are liking Transient Machines and that they are proving useful to you.

Just to say, I consider Transient Machines to be stable, good quality, bug free code at the moment (no-one has reported anything out of the ordinary since release), so, if you do have issues, even if you cannot always exactly reproduce, then I would be very interested to hear about them in more detail in support@surrealmachines.com . We are seriously committed to making sure our stuff is working as well as possible for everyone, as well as sounding awesome :-)

Thanks!
stkr.

maky355

Post by maky355 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Ma i just saw you have Magnetic (Modnetic) and Diffuse as a VST ! Thank you i just tried diffuse and sound is same which mean FANTASTIC. So less problems for me.

I will try Modnetic i really really hope i can replicte Magnetic sound with Modnetic because Magnetic is one of best tape delay ever!!! And i have Soundtoys, Replika XT and UAD delay - your one beat the crap out of these so expensive plugins!

If i can replicate Magnetic with Modnetic i will buy it instantly (i have other DAW and always wanted Magnetic in my other projects).

Please tell me that you are considering Transient Machines as VST version? Just don't change sound of Crack and Impact in VST. Take my money in advance (i mean it). If there is preorder for Transient Machines i'll happily buy it and wait.

You guys at Surreal Machines seems to have good ear because all of your plugs sound damn good i really mean it.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon May 22, 2017 9:11 am

...does the diffuse (and modnetic) vst differ in regard to cpu consumption vs. the m4l plugin?...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

maky355

Post by maky355 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:05 am

scheffkoch wrote:...does the diffuse (and modnetic) vst differ in regard to cpu consumption vs. the m4l plugin?...
They are a bit lighter. Modnetic is almost same but lighter.

Difference i see so far - VST load in under one second - instantly. M4l plugin loading takes around 6 sec - and i have SSD, I7 Haswell at 4ghz...

Diffuse VST - i was able to recreate sound of M4L version almost 100% - which is YESS for me

Modnetic - unfortunately not. Delays are same even better. Distortion is sadly not. Example: Magnetic preset from folder Insert - named "Saturated Tape Signal" (screenshot attached) - that preset alone was worth whole bundle to me. I have Nebula, Reaktor, Uad, there is no VST plugin in my arsenal (and i have a few) which can compress and distort drums like Magnetic and mentioned preset. That weird congested pumping was so good to me that i use it a lot.

Unfortunately VST version can not recreate that sound. I cant get that pumping and compression character no matter what i do in Modnetic.

STKR - see screenshot and please post a screenshot of Modnetic on how to achieve it if i am doing something wrong. If i am not doing anything wrong will you consider adding that palette in update or something?

If you are making Transient Machines for VST like i said i am 100% buyer just don't change sound of Crack or Impact. Crack is awesome T.designer. And i especially like Impact saturation stages. All your plugins sound marvelous in m4l they really do. Just don't cripple them in VST.