Tips for Neat a Tidy MaxForLive Packs Install in AL9 Suite?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
JustPush!

Tips for Neat a Tidy MaxForLive Packs Install in AL9 Suite?

Post by JustPush! » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:27 pm

I'm new here, and I tell you gang, there seems to be very scant instructions for PROPERLY setting up Max For Live "Packs". These are the Max For Live "packs" that come as a *free download for the ABleton Live 9.x Push Bundle.

1) After downloading the 17 or so Free Max For Live "packs", where is a SENSIBLE place to COPY them to, for access by Ableton Live Suite 9.x? (Instructions seem to suggest just leaving the originals in the Downloads folder, and somehow accessing them from Ableton Live, by dragging them (one at a time maybe?) into the "Program Window" -- but doing that won't automatically sort them according to type, now will it? :mrgreen:

2) Once we've registered Ableton Live Suite, what are we to do, specifically, to have those Max 4 Live "Packs" properly placed within the Ableton Live Browser's [Max For Live] area of the CONTENT Panel?

(I *did* go to the Options/Preferences/File Folder and "pointed" Ableton to where Max 7 is installed
C:/Program Files/Cycle74/Max7 But there's no place in that same File Folder Preferences Panel to point Ableton to the Max For Live "Packs" locations, though, and we're supposed to drag them the huge lower window on the Sessions screen and expect them to automagically end up in a neat place? This seems suspect to me, sorry.)

3) Should we newbies sort thru those 17 or so "Packs" and try to decipher if they should be separated by INSTRUMENTS, AUDIO EFFECTS and MIDI EFFECTS before importing them into Ableton Live, or do we do that sorting from within Ableton Live Suite -- or does it occur automatically when we drop them in the Program's window?

Any help before I finally get some rest is welcomed ('been up for 24 hours now, LOL). :oops:

eclipxe

Re: Tips for Neat a Tidy MaxForLive Packs Install in AL9 Suite?

Post by eclipxe » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:28 pm

JustPush! wrote:I'm new here, and I tell you gang, there seems to be very scant instructions for PROPERLY setting up Max For Live "Packs". These are the Max For Live "packs" that come as a *free download for the ABleton Live 9.x Push Bundle.

1) After downloading the 17 or so Free Max For Live "packs", where is a SENSIBLE place to COPY them to, for access by Ableton Live Suite 9.x? (Instructions seem to suggest just leaving the originals in the Downloads folder, and somehow accessing them from Ableton Live, by dragging them (one at a time maybe?) into the "Program Window" -- but doing that won't automatically sort them according to type, now will it? :mrgreen:

2) Once we've registered Ableton Live Suite, what are we to do, specifically, to have those Max 4 Live "Packs" properly placed within the Ableton Live Browser's [Max For Live] area of the CONTENT Panel?

(I *did* go to the Options/Preferences/File Folder and "pointed" Ableton to where Max 7 is installed
C:/Program Files/Cycle74/Max7 But there's no place in that same File Folder Preferences Panel to point Ableton to the Max For Live "Packs" locations, though, and we're supposed to drag them the huge lower window on the Sessions screen and expect them to automagically end up in a neat place? This seems suspect to me, sorry.)

3) Should we newbies sort thru those 17 or so "Packs" and try to decipher if they should be separated by INSTRUMENTS, AUDIO EFFECTS and MIDI EFFECTS before importing them into Ableton Live, or do we do that sorting from within Ableton Live Suite -- or does it occur automatically when we drop them in the Program's window?

Any help before I finally get some rest is welcomed ('been up for 24 hours now, LOL). :oops:
Welcome!

You're over thinking things. Just double click the packs to install them - they'll go where they need to, then you can delete the downloads.