Surreal Machines Dub Machines Max4Live version vs VST

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
IronShirt

Surreal Machines Dub Machines Max4Live version vs VST

Post by IronShirt » Fri May 26, 2017 5:42 pm

For use in Ableton is there any difference between the Dub Machines Max4Live bundle and the new VST versions?

maky355

Re: Surreal Machines Dub Machines Max4Live version vs VST

Post by maky355 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:12 am

I tested them thoroughly.

Diffuse VST VST version is very similar to M4L version in sound palette. VST version does have kinda smoother sound. But VERY similar. Diffuse VST load under one second (m4l takes 7 second on mx SSD). Diffuse VST version use less CPU then m4l. Overall if you don't have m4l version you buy VST version and you are set. More stable (i get random crashes with m4l devices. VST zero crashes. If you have m4l version but you are tired of random crashes grab free Diffuse until free period is over.

Modnetic VST (which is Magnetic older brother) - more polished sound. Less CPU usage. Load under sec (m4l takes 7 second on mx SSD). Overall Modnetic can give you more colors, better sound, more impulses and is more polished processor but some impulses are missing from Magnetic and some distortion FX is not the same so if you use Magnetic for saturation and distortion you won't get same sound sadly. Overall Modnetic is better procesor in every way but can not reproduce (yet - maybe they'll add same impulses and dynamic fx to vst) Magnetic sounds (like diffuse version can between different format version).

For use in Ableton if you are not short on the money i recommend VST version. Even if you have M4L version already. Perfect stability, instant loading, better sound, better versatility.

I really hope they will migrate Transient Machines to VST - with SAME sound.

tone61

Post by tone61 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:46 am

I also recommend getting Diffuse. Still free for few more days.

IronShirt

Post by IronShirt » Mon May 29, 2017 2:40 pm

Yeah I got Diffuse VST for free and was thinking about getting Modnetic but realized that Modnetic is almost twice the price of the whole M4L Dub Machines. Good to know that it's easier on CPU, which is important. Right now I'm trying to decide on Modnetic or Out Space, the RE-201 emulation.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon May 29, 2017 9:51 pm

tone61 wrote:I also recommend getting Diffuse. Still free for few more days.
A great idea. Already got the MFL version, but one of my main collaborators don't have MFL.
Make some music!

stkr

Post by stkr » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:53 pm

hi.

just to add a couple small points to the thread, with as little ulterior motive as possible...

regarding emulation:

- this is largely an abused term: i mean, emulating what? with old hardware like the 201 and maybe even the 501 there are no two hardware units identical, especially if they have been well used
- so, one persons 'perfect emulation' is another's 'wrong sound'
- what we did in MAGnetic, and now even more so in MODnetic, is offer the user a way of dialling in emulation-like qualities with as little complexity and as much musicality as possible
- there is a whole section in the Modnetic VST PDF manual about this

Modnetic VST does excellent 201 and 501 (plus the modulation section) emulations - there are a handful of presets called 'Era' that do a good job of suggesting different types of emulated sound quality.

Furthermore, both Mag and Mod are quite unique in that they let you modify these settings on the fly for your own hybrid machine styles. in the case of Mod, with complete click-free morphing shapeshifting live-performance-ready lovelyness :)

so, we take emulation very seriously and studied and worked hard to get authenticity, but we wanted to create something that was not fixed on our own ideas but opened up to everyone's ideas.

finally, MAGnetic and Diffuse M4L Dub Machines are here to stay. they do not get forgotten just because we have some similar (but ultimately different) VSTs out now - we are just growing as a company, that is all. M4L Dubs will get a maintenance update soon and are still in my thoughts. So feel free to use both :-)

stkr.

fabrice segura

Post by fabrice segura » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:23 am

Thank you for the diffuse vst/au for free.
I have also dubmachines(ableton pack live)with diffuse

The diffuse vst is good device for delay with a mix lock,presets are good,less cpu on my old MacBook Pro 2006

8) nice