Midi delay on LIve 9 when using max pitch shift

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
bigmuz7

Midi delay on LIve 9 when using max pitch shift

Post by bigmuz7 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Sorry if question has bee asked before, but , Ive got a nice Live Set that Ive used a max device to pitch shift one of the audio tracks on and works great, but when I try and play a midi device along with it, theres a 20 millisecond delay on any midi notes I play to the device which is an Integra 7 ? If I delete the max device from the clip, there is no delay anymore ? any ideas folks ?

Stromkraft

Re: Midi delay on LIve 9 when using max pitch shift

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:16 pm

bigmuz7 wrote:Sorry if question has bee asked before, but , Ive got a nice Live Set that Ive used a max device to pitch shift
"a" max device? Which device specifically? If you hold the mouse over the name bar of the device what latency does Live say this device of yours have below in the info bar?

I looked quickly at the Simple Pitch Shifter device of Max 7 Time and Pitch Machines, which has a latency of a whopping 4096 samples (about 92ms) on my machine. If your device has this much latency, that's the reason.

You either need to find a pitch shifter that work with much less latency, including using clip warp settings Transpose and Detune, or make the pitch shifting permanent to your audio files by flattening.

You could also try to use Reduced Latency when Montitoring if recording or playing in MIDI tracks and/or review your audio buffer settings (which you might be able to put lower without crackling).
Make some music!

bigmuz7

Post by bigmuz7 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:03 pm

The max device is 'simple pitch shifter.amxd' and yeah .. cool ....I never noticed that info box before when hovering the mouse over the device it says Latency 4096 samples (92.9ms) .. so .. I fixed it by delaying the midi track by the same amount :) is this just the delay in processing the audio that causes that ?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:01 pm

bigmuz7 wrote: I fixed it by delaying the midi track by the same amount :) is this just the delay in processing the audio that causes that ?
For recording a performance that's not fixing per se. Unless you're "playing" this pitch shift each time differently flattening would seem the more natural approach. Every project is different of course.

Yes, any plug-in or device need some processing time which is what is shown in the info box. Linear multiband effects also add latency of this magnitude. I have many plug-ins and devices with 0 samples of latency though.
Make some music!