Using Live dial with Push to select integers

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
onia

Using Live dial with Push to select integers

Post by onia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi, I am trying to control a live.dial with an Ableton Push 1 to select between a set of small integers (like 0-5). I can't seem to figure out a configuration where the number that is displayed on the dial is the number actually outputted all of the time. For example, when the number first switches from 2 to 3, the outputted number will lag and not switch to 3 until I turn the dial further. This means I can't trust the number displayed on my Push.

I found I can get the numbers to agree by switching the dial to 'absolute' mode, but then the dial is super sensitive, as I assume it is using the actual 0-127 values obtained from the Push. This is prohibitive for live playing as I have to very carefully turn the dial to not just have it jump a large amount instead of increment by 1.

I do have a workaround, which is to put the dial into absolute mode, map it to a macro, and then set the macro's range to the range of the dial. This works, but I am interested in finding out if there is a more elegant way to do it with just a Live.dial by itself.

Nadex

Re: Using Live dial with Push to select integers

Post by Nadex » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:00 am

I came upon this issue with Push 2, and I think the problem lies with the use of live.dial which seems to be buggy in M4L.

The workaround I found is as follows:

To use live.dial with integer:
create live.dial - set type to float, unit style to integer
create live.numbox - set type to integer (hide it from automation and store)
connect live.numbox to output of live.dial, and use the number output instead of the live.dial. Et voila!

Enum works fine, so that can solve the other mismatches.

I hope this helps with your Push 1 issues, and saves you some head scratching time.