Live 10 surround Panner ?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
jonbenderr

Re: Live 10 surround Panner ?

Post by jonbenderr » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:16 pm

Not at the studio PC right now. Are there any hints as to how the surround panner is interacting with the LOM?

oblique strategies

Re: Live 10 surround Panner ?

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Just posted this at Centercode:

Fundamental Issue:
For my work flow it is essential that the external output channels be mono & not stereo, just like the previous external output panners in Max for Live. I haven't seen a way to facilitate this with the device.

The old panners could be routed to individual outputs of an audio interface (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8), the new panner is routing in grouped stereo pairs of outputs only (1/2, 3/4. 5/6. 7/8).

For one thing, it makes it much easier to see where the sound is located in the speaker field when you have a one-to-one relationship between external output channel & physical speaker. Plus each speaker gets its own color-code.

With the external output channel limited to stereo one has to decipher left/right panning in a pair of speakers. See attached screenshots comparing the Surround device & it's eternal outputs channels with a previous panner & it's Return channels routed to external outputs.

I'll have more feedback on this device (already noticed a few quirks)

Sorry about the size of the screenshots!