I had a vivid dream about a tool for selective mangling

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
cmprvndncr

I had a vivid dream about a tool for selective mangling

Post by cmprvndncr » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:29 am

Last night I dreamed that I was watching a tutorial for a device which would allow me to run an algorithm that looked at my arrangement and offered a percentage based mangling suggestion (based on a percentage control set before running the algo) which could then be further tweaked to basically put in drop-outs and other destructive effects to your sound... It worked really well in my dream... Haha, of course YMMV, and it's a matter of musical style...

Anyways, had to share it here, cause I don't have the skills to make such a device at this point...

Or maybe it already exists?

It was applied (in my dream) to a lofi hiphop track (don't roll your eyes :roll: )... Haha, anyways it mostly was applied to a string section of samples which were too clean / straight, and I moved some sliders around which were kind of at the end of each bar or so to be like 1, 2, 3 (dropout), 1, 2, (dropout) & 4...

I know this is random, and arguably weird, but I think cool shit comes to us in dreams, & I believe in sharing our creative shits honestly.

Any comments welcome, even if you just wanna make fun of lofi hiphop (which I rly enjoy as a genre, but also find it funny to make fun of).

Peace

JBlongz

Re: I had a vivid dream about a tool for selective mangling

Post by JBlongz » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:45 am

Maybe try sugar bytes Effectrix or Artillery?
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

stoter

Re: I had a vivid dream about a tool for selective mangling

Post by stoter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:38 am

You could apply an LFO to the volume (or filter) of a sound (synced to tempo or not, S&H, up to you) and then use that sound as the source signal for (extreme) side-chain compression on the sound you want to mangle.

Tweaking the LFO settings (mostly, the frequency) would be the same as "moving the sliders around", like in your dream.

Worth a try. :)

edit: this will only get you the drop-outs.. not sure about the "other destructive effects". Plus, erhm, my suggestion has nothing to do with M4L, sorry about that.. ;)