vanishing pictctrl in a pcontrol, what am I doing wrong

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Angstrom

vanishing pictctrl in a pcontrol, what am I doing wrong

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:05 am

Hi,
elementary errors here but I have a bunch of dials created in pictctrls, that GUI is encapsulated in a pcontrol so i can pop it up.
I freeze the main amxd , then save it but the resultant device is missing the images. Also of course when i re-open the max patcher the images are reporting

Code: Select all

pictctrl: can't find file basic-bigknob.png
What's the rookie mistake here?

Angstrom

Re: vanishing pictctrl in a pcontrol, what am I doing wrong

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:30 am

Hmm, I think I've got it.
I had to add my /images drive to the Max paths.

It's odd because I'd also tried saving the knob.png alongside the patcher in an attempt to get the app to remember the path ( I saved it alongside the patcher in F:\My Documents\Ableton\User Library\Presets\Audio Effects\Max Audio Effect\angstrom ) but that didn't work.

Well, I'm assuming that it was the addition of my / images drive to the paths ... even though I didn't actually find that information anywhere in the documentation, I just tried that as a strategy alongside a bunch of other things and I suspect that might be the one which resolved it.

This program really does go out of its way to be obtuse.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:07 pm

There's a dependencies option in the menu. There you can link files to your patch (regardless of where they are stored) and they will be included when you freeze the device.
If the patch isn't frozen, then it looks in the max filepath and in the folder from where the patch is loaded.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:53 pm

Yeah, I couldn't find that.
Is it still there. the old docs mention it: https://docs.cycling74.com/max5/vignett ... ncies.html

but it seems absent in new docs and it's certainly not where the old docs say it resides.
Choose Dependencies from the View menu when a patcher window is topmost. The Dependencies window will appear.
Entries in the view menu are new, edit, presentation, inspector, Parameters, Zoom in/out, grid, sidebar, toolbar, etc etc. but certainly no dependencies.

the new docs, and searching the docs in the app for "dependencies" returns a list of items relating to managing a project and reading each of those none of them mention dependencies. In fact, where the word is mentioned and is a link ... clicking it takes me to the main Max "documentation" page. the one with "example of the day on. Its a dead end link. a 404 in web terms

tldr - there is no "dependencies" menu entry or help entry about dependencies

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:21 pm

Ah, its updated. Who needs changelogs anyway?

At the bottom of a patcher, you'll see "Show containing project". To the right of the "show grid" icon.
You can add files from that window.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks, now there's a button I haven't pressed before! I was unaware of that whole conceptual area of project management.
That little button isn't shown in sub-patch windows and that's where I'm doing all my editing. It's one of those projects where the main patcher only contains a big button to open the floating window.

Well, I guess I need to have a deep read of the "About Projects" section.
thanks again