How to display pictures (photos, etc)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Montxo Garcia

How to display pictures (photos, etc)

Post by Montxo Garcia » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:52 am

Hello,
I am new with ABLETON. I need to display diferent photos, drawings, etc at specific times while Ableton Live is running. For example, display PICTURE 1 at minute 2:00 or with a specific SCENE, the display PICTURE 2 at minute 3:00 and so on.
Any help is appreciatted. I have seen that there are several tools for video but none for simple images.

Thand ina dvance.
Montxo
Spain

Montxo Garcia

Re: How to display pictures (photos, etc)

Post by Montxo Garcia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Any expert user who can help me in this simple issue? Any idea on how I can put some pictures while my music is playing?
THanks.

Montxo

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Montxo Garcia wrote:simple issue?
Not a simple issue, would need programming in something like MaxforLive, or maybe there's a VST that does this... Not seen anything like it before, generally it's not what Live is used for... Not to say it's wrong...

Cheers
D

Montxo Garcia

Post by Montxo Garcia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi S4,
thanks for the reply.
I was thinking that this requested functions is a feature very used and basic for an application for live scenarios ( and more for one which works with video files)
I will try to find a way to do this "images display" solution.
My alternative is to create a video file with "still images", but it is less effective and requires additional effort & job.
Thanks.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Seen plenty of people do visuals that react to audio.... Not seen anyone use still images..

Cheers
D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Nothing prevents you to make a still into a single frame video. Or multiple images into a video where you jump to specific points.
Drop an image in iMovie (or whatever) and export as video.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:32 am

One way to achieve this is to have a max for live device with a jit.movie object. The jit.movie has .mov or .mp4 composed of all the stills loaded into it. you'll need to set the @autostart (or something like that) attribute to 0 to stop it kicking off and cycling through the stills. You then make it so that frame number corresponding to the still is controlled using a live.num or live.dial. this control can then be controlled by automation in a live clip (so the image can be controlled by the choice of clip launched).
using a preloaded movie is critical - max takes milliseconds to load a file from disc, but I've never noticed the lag in jumping from frame to frame in a preloaded movie.
check out the jit.movie help.

Montxo Garcia

Post by Montxo Garcia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Thank you everybody for the suggestions.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:38 pm

You can drop .jpg files on the timeline in arrange-view in Live and they will appear as clips. you can make them as long as you like. Live has a extra window that displays video or images.

Or you use some kind of vj-software and use it as aa slave with live. Then you can go facny with effects on the images etc.