MIDI input M4L Device

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
mauronedj

MIDI input M4L Device

Post by mauronedj » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi,
I was wondering, now that we can create Audio Send devices like Outist (http://maxforlive.com/library/device/4673/outist) if you can create a midi device that can send the midi input and route it anywhere in Live (just like the Midi Input selector in all the Midi tracks).

That would be useful for using Midi VST's in the same Midi Track with an actual VST instrument that can receive the midi without using 2 tracks to do so.

Thanks,
Mauro.

Tuur

Re: MIDI input M4L Device

Post by Tuur » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Maybe I don't understand you correctly, but I think this has been possible for quite a while.

I've created midi routers myself and I think there are some publicly available too...

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Tuur wrote:Maybe I don't understand you correctly, but I think this has been possible for quite a while.

I've created midi routers myself and I think there are some publicly available too...
I'll try to do a mock up so you can see what I mean:
Do you know any device that could do this?
Thanks in advance! :D

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:12 pm

I see... Does something like this work for you?

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/30 ... eceiver-xs

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:40 pm

Tuur wrote:I see... Does something like this work for you?

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/30 ... eceiver-xs
Hi,
Unfortunately it does not work, it cannot receive midi from plugins. Something like that specifically would work:

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:16 pm

I'm looking at your example and cannot even figure out what you are trying to do.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:58 am

I have to admit I'm also lost here... What would be the point of that device?

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Fri May 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for your time.
I'll explain how I setup the example shown in the picture:

- Put any midi vst in an empty midi track. In my example I was using Scaler, this one: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 933-Scaler .

- Group the midi plugin. If the plugin outputs any audio mute his chain.

- Drag an instrument to a second chain in the same group (named Synth in the example).

- Now I need to route the midi output of Scaler (in the same group) to the Synth. That's what the hypothetical midi plugin in the picture is doing.

The M4L "MIDI Receiver" and "MIDI sender" in the "Max 7 Pitch And Time Machines" does not work, you cannot take the midi From a vst inside a channel or group, like a normal midi track in live can do.

Hope I explained it a bit better this time,
Thanks in advice,
Mauro.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Thu May 24, 2018 10:05 am

mauronedj wrote: - Group the midi plugin. If the plugin outputs any audio mute his chain.
Ah. Well, if the plugin outputs any audio the router won't work, that's right.

I've downloaded a preview from Scaler a while ago and it expired, so unfortunately I can't test it, but this doesn't work for you?
For Audio Unit hosts (ie, Logic Pro), the included ScalerControl MIDI effect plugin is loaded up instead. This is identical to the regular Scaler, but sits in front of the target instrument on the same track, outputting MIDI directly to it.

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Mon May 28, 2018 6:50 pm

Hey Turr!

Unfortunaly Live does not recognize vst plugins (maybe with the new VST3 would be easier but for now it can't).

The problem is, even if the VSTi outputs midi infos Live recognize it as an instrument, so for now I cannot see any other way to use it inside of a rack, only a M4L patch that extract the midi from an existent audio track!

Thanks anyway for the time :)