help making MaxforLive Reference Playlist Plug(50-100tracks)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
letzgo1

help making MaxforLive Reference Playlist Plug(50-100tracks)

Post by letzgo1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 am

Currently I have this setup to use reference tracks.

I have a “Pre Master” (where my actual master chain lives and all my project sounds route to) and a “Reference Tracks” group.. Within my “Reference Tracks” group I have 50-100 tracks each on a separate channel, but only one channel is on, the rest are off. Both my “Pre Master” and “Reference Tracks” groups are routed to Ableton’s “Master”. This allows me to A/B my mix and my reference mix (via hotkey) without having my master chain being applied to the reference track.

Problem: Since I use like 50 Reference tracks on with each track on its own channel in the Reference group, if my project gets large it can start to slow down and also takes up a lot of memory each session I save. ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————— —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Basically I want to create a Max for Live plugin that I can put all those tracks in that one plugin, and use it on one channel in Ableton instead of having 50-100 tracks each on its own channel in Ableton.

((You might think thats a lot of tracks to ref with but I’m usually using only a couple of them. But a lot of times I’m working on a dance track and then it turns into a house track/techno track/rock track or whatever. And then the reference tracks I’m using needs to change. Or maybe I want to reference how a piano element sounds in one track vs how the drums sound in a different track. So for me using this many Reference tracks is a necessity for me.))

I also want to be able to seamlessly switch when I’m soloing. When I switch to my soloed Reference track in Ableton it should play as if an audio file is there. If I start the play from 16 bars it should play from that point automatically. Basically it should follow the play and pause along with the time in Ableton as if it was an audio file on the track.

So basically it would look like this
Playlist box with Reference tracks —> Waveform Box to show waveform of tracks

Is this even possible with MaxForLive? I tried to make the plugin in Max but I’ve never used MaxForLive so I’m having a lot of trouble.. If anyone can offer their expertise or help create this I would greatly appreciate it. :mrgreen: