Source Code Based Audio Block

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
gbert

Source Code Based Audio Block

Post by gbert » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:42 am

I’m new to M4L so pardon any ignorance. I’d like to make a custom audio processing block made using source code. I’ve written several DSP algorithms in C, C++, Matlab, and Python and would like to create my own block. Does M4L have the capability to do this? I see the gen~ block, but can’t figure out how to create/edit source for it. I also see references of C/C++ external code online, but don’t see any detail for how to interface it.

C or C++ are preferred since it’s what I’m most familiar with. But I’m open to learning gen if it can be used in this way. I’m running Live 10 Suite.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Source Code Based Audio Block

Post by [jur] » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:46 am

You need a full Max license to create Gen objects.
You can compile your C code(s) to max objects, this is way over my scope though. It's probably a good idea to ask on the Cycling74 forum.
Ableton Forum Moderator

ecuk

Post by ecuk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:50 pm

Yes, [jur] is (as always) correct. You can develop so-called Max externals in C using the Max SDK, and for this you do not require a full license.

https://cycling74.com/downloads/sdk

The SDK documentation is good, and the Max forums (linked at the top of the same page) are fairly active.
MacBook Pro, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, 2.3GHz i7-1068NG7, 32GB – Live Suite 12.0.1, Max 8.6.2, Push 2, Scarlett 4i4

gbert

Post by gbert » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Thank you [jur] and ecuk. This is the information I was looking for. I will look into the C SDK and the full version of Max for Gen further.