Using the pitch of a sound to control parameters within Live

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
Post Reply
holman
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:13 pm

Using the pitch of a sound to control parameters within Live

Post by holman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Hello. This is my very first post, whooop!

I've been using the Max device Envelope Follower a lot lately. A couple of days ago I realised I could use an old Theremin in combination with Envelope Follower to control parameters of other instruments, effects etc. By adding an instance of Envelope Follower to an audio track with the Theremin as input and then muting the audio track, the amplitude of the Theremin can be used to control any parameter within Live. For instance, the Theremin can control the filter of a synth, the dry/wet setting of a reverb, or even multiple parameters within several instruments and effects at the same time. It's so much fun, and incredibly useful!

However, the Theremin also has a pitch antenna. I have been looking for a way to use the Theremin's pitch in a similar way. Is there a Max device similar to Envelope Follower that is able to detect the pitch instead of the amplitude/envelope, and then convert the pitch into a numerical value that can control parameters within Live? It would be super cool to be able to set the upper and lower limits of pitch detection, and then use a kind of logarithmic curve to translate the detected frequency into a number between 0 and 127. E.g. 50 Hz could correspond to 0 and 10 kHz to 127 if that's what you wanted.

I know there exist plugins that can allow the Theremin's pitch and amplitude to be translated into MIDI information, but none of the one's I have seen are as flexible and as easy to route etc. as the Envelope Follower.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Using the pitch of a sound to control parameters within Live

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:06 pm

holman wrote: However, the Theremin also has a pitch antenna. I have been looking for a way to use the Theremin's pitch in a similar way. Is there a Max device similar to Envelope Follower that is able to detect the pitch instead of the amplitude/envelope, and then convert the pitch into a numerical value that can control parameters within Live? It would be super cool to be able to set the upper and lower limits of pitch detection, and then use a kind of logarithmic curve to translate the detected frequency into a number between 0 and 127. E.g. 50 Hz could correspond to 0 and 10 kHz to 127 if that's what you wanted.

I know there exist plugins that can allow the Theremin's pitch and amplitude to be translated into MIDI information, but none of the one's I have seen are as flexible and as easy to route etc. as the Envelope Follower.
I don't know how you can check out the IM-NoteTracker in Ircamax 2 as it's a paid for package, expensive at that, but there you can get the notes. I'd assume you need also accurate pitch bend info to be picked up. Intelligent handling of this would be central, no?

If the notes are actually sufficient you would need to convert those values into something interesting and usable. What have you tried so far? Did you get any ideas?
Make some music!

holman
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Using the pitch of a sound to control parameters within Live

Post by holman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Stromkraft wrote: I don't know how you can check out the IM-NoteTracker in Ircamax 2 as it's a paid for package, expensive at that, but there you can get the notes. I'd assume you need also accurate pitch bend info to be picked up. Intelligent handling of this would be central, no?

If the notes are actually sufficient you would need to convert those values into something interesting and usable. What have you tried so far? Did you get any ideas?

I have done some research on the NoteTracker device before, actually. If I could afford it, it would probably work well if the purpose was to convert the Theremin pitch into MIDI notes for playing MIDI instruments. However, what I would really like, is a way to control any parameter of any other device within Live with high resolution similar to the way Envelope Follower works. For example, I'd like to use the amplitude antenna to control the filters of one group of sounds, and the pitch antenna to control the filters of another grou. That way, I would be able to bring separate groups of sounds in and out of the sound stage using my left and right hands.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Using the pitch of a sound to control parameters within Live

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:01 pm

holman wrote:However, what I would really like, is a way to control any parameter of any other device within Live with high resolution similar to the way Envelope Follower works.
Yes, but it's pitch so most devices will focus on reading that. Your main issue us what usable data could come out of that initial data stream that could be useful as CC messages, no?

On second thoughts and posts like n9's in IRCAMAX 2 anyone tried it? Is there a way to demo? that device I mentioned might not be the most suitable for you.
Make some music!

Post Reply