8 Macros device filtering MIDI notes?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
feytus

8 Macros device filtering MIDI notes?

Post by feytus » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:01 am

Hi people! I have a drumrack in Live 10 that I use to trigger an Elektron Analog Rytm. The drumrack sends notes to the 12 different sounds on the Rytm on 12 MIDI channels (1-12), so each sound has got its own MIDI channel. I have several instances of the 8 macros device on each channel (for MIDI CC control of synth parameters, filter, effects and so on).

Often times it will work just fine across all 12 channels, but more often than not, certain MIDI notes doesn't appear to be sent to the Rytm. I've thought it might be the Rytm's fault for a long time, but when I look at the drumrack in Live, press the play button of a pad (from Live), I can see the little yellow dots trigger in the actual external instrument chain (the chain input level), but looking at the connected external instrument rack, where Live says which MIDI channel on the Rytm to send the MIDI too, there will be no action! So no yellow dots moving to indicate signal.

However! And here's the weird thing. If I turn off one of the 8 macros devices at a time, usually the trigger of the note will go just fine. Sometimes it's a certain collection of 8 CC's (say the one I've called "synth"), yet other times it's "filter". Which is really weird!

Is there a chance the 8 macros could somehow be filtering the MIDI notes? And if so, what can I do about it?
Also, is there a limit to how many of the 8 macros you should use on an external instruments rack?

Cheers, and thanks for reading. :)

chapelier fou

Re: 8 Macros device filtering MIDI notes?

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:23 pm

I didn't look at the device but it might be missing 1 midiout and 1 midiin object, with a straight connection between them, like in the basic Max Midi effect when you drop a new one in a track.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1