Max & Push coders: PLEASE HELP ME I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Skullrattler

Max & Push coders: PLEASE HELP ME I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT

Post by Skullrattler » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:39 am

I have been trying to do this for a while and have become extremely aggravated with Ableton.

When I bought Ableton Live + Push 2 I expected this would be a standard feature....

All I need to do is be able to quickly create 32 virtual knobs, assign names to them and have them learn the MIDI CC that they will be sending out. Please note that I am not talking about controlling anything in Live from another controller. I am talking about controlling hardware from the physical knobs of the Push while seeing what I'm doing on the display.

Then I want to HIDE everything except the actual knobs and their names and values from being shown on the Push display.... I don't want to see the CC choosers or any other irrelevant stuff cluttering the PUSH display and adding unnecessary pages of controls. I just want 4 pages of 8 knobs each, their names and the current value. nothing else.

I cannot believe this is not a native part of Live :x :x :x Basically I am looking for the "Configure' function that we get for VST plugins.

Why isn't Ableton adding MIDI CC knobs in Live so we don't have to look for 3rd party Max devices?

There are several "8 knobs with CC learn" devices out there but after hours of trying changing parameters in Max's editor I have been unable to hide their unnecessary controls from Push woitout disabling the functionality of the device. I spent hours and googled in vein.

I tried adding more than one of those devices to a track and came upon another hair pulling situation. Only one device can send MIDI out.... :cry:

I cannot believe I am the only one who wants to use the Push as a hardware synth controller with only relevant controls shown on screen?!

I have looked at something called Preditor that can maybe do this and found it very hard to understand. I just want a solution within Max.

Pleease help...

hoffman2k

Re: Max & Push coders: PLEASE HELP ME I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:05 am

- Make 4 (audio or MIDI) racks. (Each device is a bank of 8 )
- Use Live's MIDI Learn to assign the CC's to unmapped Macro's.
- Make sure Remote Out is activated in the MIDI preferences

Now you can control those Racks from Push, while the mapped CC's are being sent out to the remote output you selected. No MFL required.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Live 10 brought the live.banks object, it's here that you need to define what gets shown on the Push screen...

Cheers
D

Skullrattler

Post by Skullrattler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:35 pm

S4racen wrote:Live 10 brought the live.banks object, it's here that you need to define what gets shown on the Push screen...

Cheers
D
Thanks but is this an easy fix for existing pre-Live 10 devices?

Skullrattler

Post by Skullrattler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:38 pm

hoffman2k wrote:- Make 4 (audio or MIDI) racks. (Each device is a bank of 8 )

Now you can control those Racks from Push, while the mapped CC's are being sent out to the remote output you selected. No MFL required.
Have you actually done this to control synths in a MIDI setup with more than one MIDI device?
As far as I've seen, using the Remote Output only sends to MIDI channel 1 as this output is meant for control surfaces, not synths.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:15 pm

Skullrattler wrote:

Have you actually done this to control synths in a MIDI setup with more than one MIDI device?
As far as I've seen, using the Remote Output only sends to MIDI channel 1 as this output is meant for control surfaces, not synths.
Remote in/out and control surfaces are 2 different things. That is why their options are separated.
If you MIDI Learn CC74 on channel 6, it will output that same message to whichever remote output that is enabled. Track MIDI is limited to 1 channel.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:13 am

Skullrattler wrote:
S4racen wrote:Live 10 brought the live.banks object, it's here that you need to define what gets shown on the Push screen...

Cheers
D
Thanks but is this an easy fix for existing pre-Live 10 devices?
It's the solution, whether it's an easy fix is up to you...

It leaves all of the MIDI Mappable objects MIDI Mappable, but defines what is and isn't displayed on the push, you can change this on the fly also as shown here....

https://vimeo.com/274099589

Cheers
D

Skullrattler

Post by Skullrattler » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:34 pm

It leaves all of the MIDI Mappable objects MIDI Mappable, but defines what is and isn't displayed on the push, you can change this on the fly also as shown here....

https://vimeo.com/274099589
Thanks, are you sure this is the right video?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:59 pm

Yes it displays what can be done...

Cheers
D

Skullrattler

Post by Skullrattler » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Can you please stop spreading misinformation. this does not work. this is at least the second time you do this!

Not sure why you're doing this. If you haven't actually tried something don't talk about it as if you know what you're talking about....
I asked you :
and you did not answer to the question.

If this worked the max devices would not have been made.
:x

[mod] Please chill out dude, and check the Forum Community Guidelines while you're here. I've edited your message so at least it doesn't look that much agressive.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Alright, I'll be wrong. Been doing it since Live 4 (2004), but whatever.
When you assign an endless encoder with LED rings and change something with the mouse, those LED rings get updated by magic I suppose.
And soft-takeover should be impossible, despite it being a feature of Live.