All times are UTC

Post subject: Softube Console 1 (partial) Track Follow
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:38 am 

Softube Console 1 is pretty sweet but Ableton Live doesn't support track follow.

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=5055

(I posted this originally in a feature request thread but decided to give it it's own topic here).

Console 1 Track Follow Device :)

I like using Softube Console 1 when I do my final mix but unfortunately Ableton Live doesn't support track follow for the Console 1.

Ableton Live supports:
*Automatic Track Number
*Automatic Track Name

This device allows limited track follow for Ableton Live and Console 1.

"Console 1 Track Follow" allows Ableton Live to follow Console 1 but Console 1 will "NOT" follow Ableton Live.

**FEATURES**

*Select track buttons on Console 1 hardware controller will select the corresponding Ableton Live track Number

*Page up and down buttons will let you select more than 20 tracks in Ableton Live (up to 1000 pages can be selected).

*Shift button on hardware temporarily disconnects the Select Track buttons to allow you to choose shift settings or load other channel strips without accidentally changing the track.

** How to use it:

Ableton Live MIDI Preferences:

Console 1 MIDI Input:
"Track" = ON
"Sync" = OFF
"Remote"= OFF

Console 1 MIDI Output:
"Track" = OFF
"Sync" = OFF
"Remote"= OFF

Drop 1 instance of Console 1 Track Follow on an empty MIDI track.
Set the "MIDI From" drop down menu to Console 1
Set the Monitor Switch on the channel to "In".

Make Sure every track in Ableton Live is named:
"# Track name"
This makes sure the track gets an automatic number.

Add Console 1 plugins to every Instrument/Audio Track.

Now when you select a track from the Console 1 controller, Ableton Live will follow the track selection!

**Planned/Attempted Future Features**

* Select/Follow Send/Return Tracks in some way
* Select/Follow Master Track
* Fix issue of Navigating OSD menus with the page up/down buttons
* Other things I can't think of right now that "are" possible with limited Softube Support.

**KNOWN ISSUES**

*Tracks can be selected regardless of whether or not there is a Console 1 plugin on the track.

*Because of the page up and down functionality the page up and down buttons cannot be used to select new menu devices such as channel strips or settings options. --Use the Volume/Select Knob instead.

*Control is only one way because of limited information from Softube. The physical controls send SysEx data (which is how I was able to tap into the controls) but communication is with the plugin(s) and hardware are done through some sort of local network communication. I'm not sure if I can hack it to work like the "supported" DAW's can so just assume this is all the functionality you get for now (Until Ableton decides to officially support it).

Too much hardware to list