Using M4L to dynamically add devices/effects

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
melisma

Using M4L to dynamically add devices/effects

Post by melisma » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Hello~

I've been scouring this forum and the API documentation and can't seem to figure this out. Is there a way to utilize the API to load specific devices and effects on a track? There are clearly ways to create/delete tracks and delete devices, but I can't find a way to tell Live to "make an audio track and load this device and effect on it".

Anyone know is this is possible? Thanks in advance.

dataf1ow

Re: Using M4L to dynamically add devices/effects

Post by dataf1ow » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:25 pm

This is just speculation, but if the Push can do it, then it stands to reason that it would be available in the control surface API, and therefore be accessible via M4L.

I could be wrong though.

Airyck

Re: Using M4L to dynamically add devices/effects

Post by Airyck » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:33 pm

A lot of Push functionality is built into the python scripts but for the most part you can do most of what Push does.
If you dig around in the Push python scripts you can even do things using the Push python script through the control surfaces section of the API.

4 the OP:

I haven’t performed adding/deleting devices but there are a couple sections in the LOM that are of interest to what you’re trying to do.

In the Tracks.view section you will find device_insert_mode. It seems to control the location to insert a device in the device chain.

toggle_browse in the Application.view section also could possibly be helpful.

I’d say start messing with these and see what you can do. That’s usually what I do. Find something in the LOM that looks related to what I’m trying to do and then get creative on how to use it. Good luck, I think it’s probably possible :)
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /