Am I the *ONLY* one finding M4L actually honestly unusable!?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
hoffman2k

Re: Am I the *ONLY* one finding M4L actually honestly unusable!?

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:29 am

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:28 pm

I consider M4L to be "experimental" and somewhat "beta" like.

Alot of devices are very stable but many obscure devices can and do crash Ableton. Some of it is part of the charm though.

I guess when Ableton gets tested, its non Max devices probably gets more thoroughly tested. A bug in the Compressor or Operator would be devastating but a bug in an obscure device I dont know.

M4L has many many devices created and implemented probably very differently from device to device. It is probably impossible to test everything.

That said I would be very cautious of loading a M4L device in a live show, but I would be just as cautious of loading a 3rd party VST without testing it beforehand.

Probably best to report what you find to Ableton. But with M4L many could be at fault. Ableton, Max, the creator of the device.

djorno

Post by djorno » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:56 pm

You are not the only one. It is very very irritating to be working and developing devices and sets with these devices only to have them rendered unusable due to crashes which you can't even debug due to them no longer even loading. Nothing charming about it whatsoever