Surround Panner rendering

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
memory9

Surround Panner rendering

Post by memory9 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Hello board
Is there a way to render the output of the surround panner to mono or interleaved files? I have these 8 channel tracks with lots of surround panned automation that I need to print to 8 mono files for playback in an app, so far I’ve been soundflowering into logic to record the output but I’m wondering if there’s a more efficient way of doing that which has escaped me. I need to do stems of individual parts that are panning in the 8-ch field so a more streamlined offline option would be a real time saver.
Thanks

Caleb Stone

Re: Surround Panner rendering

Post by Caleb Stone » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi memory9,
What happens if you go to >File >Export Audio/Video > (on the menu) Rendered Track = All Individual Tracks.

I think that this should give you what you want - a series of files.

I think that 8 speaker systems can use: 4 lots of stereo, or 8 mono. Depends on how things are configured.
Sometimes there are sub speakers too.

Let me know how you get on.

benthegoof

Post by benthegoof » Tue May 18, 2021 10:09 am

Indeed. I have a similar issue. In my case i would like 8 individual mono tracks - not meant for a traditional surround setup.

The problem i believe is that Surround Panner will not send to 8 individual mono tracks, but rather 4 stereo tracks (thus is the annoyance of Ableton converting everything to stereo).

What i do, which sucks, is pan each stereo pair Left - export with *convert to mono. then do the same with each pair panned Right - export with *convert to mono. Basically doing the same process twice to get 8 mono tracks. It works, but its time consuming and easy to make mistakes when you have a lot of material to work with. I suppose its no different than your soundflower technique.

The best would be if Surround Panner would offer to route to individual mono tracks, rather than stereo pairs. But Ableton really doesn't like mono. Still not sure why...

Maybe someone out there has a better way...

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:04 pm

The easiest way I found is to route the surround panner outputs to four audio tracks, render those as individual tracks, put them in an audio editor and separate them into mono channels. Takes some time, but it's much less complicated and error-prone than doing this separation in Live.

Ableton doesn't like mono because at its heart, it's still a simple electronic music performance software that was never meant to be a DAW.
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol