Max / Live freeze a lot when working on M4L devices

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
chapelier fou

Max / Live freeze a lot when working on M4L devices

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Well, I'm posting now, but honestly, it's been the same for years (since M4L came out ?) and across several computers (macs).
I love M4L, but when editing "complex*" devices, I always end up with Max or Live or both unresponsive and with no choice but "force to quit". It always eventually works after a few attempts but it's a massive pain. Today I must have make Max or Live force to quit like 50 times.

It usually freezes when hitting save on the device. Or closing it after saving.

* by "complex" I mean it has some of these characteristics, that I suspect being the source of problems :
- the project contains several instances of the same bpatcher.
- there are a master device and satellite devices that share infos in a bidirectional way via send/receive (with potential data feedbacks).

I'm looking for help, or testimonies from developers that they sometimes encounter endless freezing nightmares.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Max / Live freeze a lot when working on M4L devices

Post by [jur] » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:11 pm

You're not the only one...
What often helps, at least for me, is to keep on patching using Max standalone rather than M4L. Which isn't totally suited for every device.
Ableton Forum Moderator

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:24 pm

[jur] wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:11 pm
You're not the only one...
What often helps, at least for me, is to keep on patching using Max standalone rather than M4L. Which isn't totally suited for every device.
This is basically what I do every time, I only bring things back into live when I need to test api elements...

I also find that working with the paradigm of bpatchers without freezing the main device works well as I can make adjustments and reload the set having the changes pulled into the device when I do so...

Cheers
D

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks, it feels good to know it's not just me, seriously.
Taking the habit to stay in "plain" Max/MSP is probably the best advice. I'll try this approach.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1