CV Tools + LZX Video modules?

Questions and discussion about building and using Max for Live devices
GavinSuns

CV Tools + LZX Video modules?

Post by GavinSuns » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi,

I'm tempted to upgrade from Live9 so I can use CV Tools, but I'd like to use it with my LZX video synthesis modules. Which means I have a few questions:

1. Can CV Tools output VCO signal frequencies that go not just above 15KHz, as most audio modular VCOs do, but up to 1-2MHz? At 15KHz, you can display horizontal patterns through video modules, but to get to vertical patterns, you have to get up to 1-2MHz, and usually need specific video frequency VCOs for that, as most audio modules don't go that high.

2. How stable is the sync? The hard sync circuit on most video modules has to be very stable. If you run the signal through an audio effect module, or run in an audio VCO, you can get fuzzy edges or noise. I'm not sure how this will work coming out of a computer, but presume it could be very stable as a software-generated signal.

3. LZX video modules operate at 1v not 5v. You use an LZX Bridge module, or an attenuator, to scale down your audio modules as modulation sources. I can run a signal from CV Tools into Bridge, but if its possibly to directly output at a lower voltage for the video folks, that would save some patching...

If anyone has any insight here, I'd be fascinated to hear about it.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: CV Tools + LZX Video modules?

Post by [jur] » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:35 am

GavinSuns wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:26 pm
Can CV Tools output VCO signal frequencies that go not just above 15KHz, as most audio modular VCOs do, but up to 1-2MHz?
Do your soundcard goes that high??
I don't know anything about LZX and can't understand your post completely, but these are radio transmission frequencies so it's definitely out of the scope for any DAW and soundcards used for working with DAWs.

Sorry I can't help much, but from what I understand I don't imagine that CV Tools are the tools you need.
Either way you can still download L10 demo and the CV Tools to try out.
Ableton Forum Moderator

chapelier fou

Re: CV Tools + LZX Video modules?

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:56 am

Yeah, you can't send anything faster than your soundcard's sample rate.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.