Solo Function Disappears with Surround Panner

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
drpgleeson

Solo Function Disappears with Surround Panner

Post by drpgleeson » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:55 am

I'm using the new Max for Live Surround Panner plug-in. My setup is a copy of the example setup included with the panner. My problem is that when the panner's inserted in the track, I lose the solo function. Currently, my only solution--and it's a bad one--is to mute all other tracks. My performances usually have 30 to 60 tracks, so this is just a huge pain in the butt. Does anyone have a better workaround? thanks.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Solo Function Disappears with Surround Panner

Post by [jur] » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Indeed this has an impact on the routing...
You either need to get more complex with your routing, or edit the Surround Panner device to add solo(s) at this stage.
Ableton Forum Moderator

drpgleeson

Post by drpgleeson » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:26 pm

Sounds good. Is there someplace I can get information about this. While I know your reply is well intended, it doesn’t give me any usable info. If I knew how create a more complex setup or how to insert a solo function in the planner I wouldn’t be asking the forum for help.

drpgleeson

Post by drpgleeson » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:46 am

Well, so far, the responses from this forum (I understand that moderators aren't allowed to give technical advice), Ableton Support and cycling 74 support aren't encouraging. I've gotten a very detailed response from Simone at Ableton Support, who's explained to me why soloing with the current configuration of Cycling 74's surround panner effectively mutes all tracks. If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to post her detailed reply.

She's also suggested getting a third party surround panning device for Ableton that would retain the solo function (but I can't find one--does anyone on this forum know of such a thing?). And has also included what, if I were a lot better informed and possibly much smarter, might be useful info I could use to design such an animal myself. For what it's worth (worth is unknown because I don't understand it at all), here's the URL

https://docs.cycling74.com/max8/vignett ... del#Device

If you've got the tech chops to use this info to create a modified Surround Panner that allows soloing please do (and let us know the result!).

Meanwhile, I find this a maddening situation--that two established companies have given us a panning device that eliminates the solo function. That's a pretty basic deficieency! Why didn't someone at Ableton or Cycling 74 think that this was a dealbreaker? How long would a DAW remain on the marketplace that didn't have the ability to solo tracks? Unbelievable!

Thanks.

Patrick Gleeson

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:46 am

Maybe Envelop or Audio Routes work? (I have no idea, I only have stereo system)

https://www.envelop.us/software

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/5830/audio-routes
♥♥♥

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Audio Routes just got an update that will solve your solo'ing issue.
Ableton Forum Moderator