Advice on Link and Audio Visual Effects

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Hyperconfidence

Advice on Link and Audio Visual Effects

Post by Hyperconfidence » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 am

Hi Guys,
Looking to connect two PC's via ABLETON Link and have one purely for audio visuals.
Do we need Ableton Suite on both or can the AV PC just run Ableton basic with Max4Live and Zwobot etc?
Will the audio output from the music PC be able to trigger visual effects on PC2?
Advice appreciated in advance thank you.
Cheers,
Bully
DELL Precision 5540 32GBRAM 9th Gen i7, PUSH 2, Roland Rubix 44, AKG Mic, Novation Launchkey 49, Maschine 3 Mikro. Arturia and NI Plug-Ins. Traktor S4 Mk3

chapelier fou

Re: Advice on Link and Audio Visual Effects

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:30 pm

Max for live is only a part of Live Suite
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:24 pm

I think you can activate one license of Suite in 2 machines, if you are the owner of both.

IMO, If you are going to buy Standard + M4L, might as well buy Suite straight.

Standard + M4L may have trouble opening projects from Suite.

With Suite on both you can use the 2nd computer as a backup rig for the main audio one (and even maybe still run some lightweight audio visuals), and vice-versa.

But Standard + M4L will run M4L stuff like Zwobot just fine (I assume, I don't own Zwobot), and any audio of any source should work if a M4L device is triggered by audio.
♥♥♥

Hyperconfidence

Post by Hyperconfidence » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:58 pm

Thanks heaps for the detailed reply. I only use one of my licences, so may stick second licence on a mates laptop who wants to do visuals live with me on music etc (don't think he's fussed about making music).

Any idea if Ableton software glitch or reject when using LINK with two same licences OFF-LINE? (I'll make sure we're off line, or he is if both working together).
Don't think my friend wants to buy Suite just to get Max to do video effects.

Would be cool to hear from someone who's tried this and either failed or succeeded, to save time.
Thanks in advance.
DELL Precision 5540 32GBRAM 9th Gen i7, PUSH 2, Roland Rubix 44, AKG Mic, Novation Launchkey 49, Maschine 3 Mikro. Arturia and NI Plug-Ins. Traktor S4 Mk3

aseemsuri

Post by aseemsuri » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:22 pm

I'm curious to know what your mate's using for visuals!

Hyperconfidence

Post by Hyperconfidence » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:21 am

Howdy,

I've tried Rokvid without success on PC.

Bought Zwobot ( zwobotmax.com )and followed all the Max4Live instructions and it totally rocks! Cheap and EXCELLENT.

Question for a computer wiz:

Laptop GPU (NOT Ableton CPU) struggles a fair bit with lots of Zwobot effects. Thinking of getting a desktop video card. What's best bang for your buck for someone running Zwobot in Max4Live?

Also: Feedback- The Novation Launch Control XL is EXCELLENT for MIDI mapping the Zwobot effect parameters for live performance.