CV Tools and Moog DFAM -- can't calibrate

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
babyzammo

CV Tools and Moog DFAM -- can't calibrate

Post by babyzammo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:55 pm

Hi there,

I have a DFAM and I'm trying to hook it up with CV Tools. No problem to sync the clock, but what I really want to do is calibrate the DFAM to CV tools so I can play notes from my midi keyboard and they'll play the right pitch on the DFAM. I followed the Moog video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNSD99cWkvc

All goes well until it's time to calibrate. When I try, CV Tools says that the pitch is unstable and can't calibrate. I can hear when it's trying to calibrate the pitch on the DFAM is wandering up and down.

Usually my DFAM is solid and doesn't have any pitch instability, so I think the CV signal from the audio out of my Tascam soundcard must be unstable... Or maybe it's a setting. Or do I need a special cable? I've tried with mono jack to mono mini jack, and stereo to stereo.

Anyone been able to make this work? Many thanks for any advice or insight.

Nick

zsazsa

Re: CV Tools and Moog DFAM -- can't calibrate

Post by zsazsa » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:27 am

Is your audio interface DC coupled?
If not then it is not suitable for sending CV.

babyzammo

Post by babyzammo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:23 pm

@ zsazsa, thanks I think you're correct. Shame Moog don't mention this in their tutorials. So... is there any way to convert audio AC into a DC signal to calibrate the DFAM? Like a clever cable or a box...?

TLW

Post by TLW » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:22 am

A MIDI to CV convertor may be what you are looking for. I think Doepfer make one as do some other modular makers.

Another option might be a controller which can convert MIDI into CV or sequencer that can send CV such as a Dark Time, Beatstep Pro or Keystep.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.