Big 3 Step Sequencer mod request

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
woodwolf

Big 3 Step Sequencer mod request

Post by woodwolf » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:15 am

Hello,

In the Max for Live Big 3 pack that comes with Ableton, there is a step sequencer. This plug in is started and stopped by the transport control, or Midi Clip.

Is there any way to modify this so that it can be triggered by note midi on and off? I'd really like to be able to start the sequence by playing any note on the keyboard and not have it transpose pitch. I'd like it to work just like it does, but have in work independently of the transport controls like the arpegiator does. It would start the sequence when the keys were pressed down, stop when I lifted them, and reset to the beginning of the sequence after lifting the keys.

I have searched everywhere for something that can do this.

A couple of things I know that is capable of this behavior is Mainstage, and the Yamaha Motiff, MOXF and MODX synths. Yamaha has something called a fixed arp so no matter what key you press it plays the notes that were originally recorded in the sequence. I don't have a Mac otherwise I think I would just use Mainstage to do this. Have spent many hours looking for solutions and really hope someone could help. I have even looked at various plug in step sequencers with no luck yet.

If you would like some examples of this, I could post the videos here if need be.

Thanks so much. If you need funds for it I think I could make it happen as long as it wasn't too expensive. Learning how to edit max for live seems like a huge learning curve and I have only been using Ableton for a short time, and would love to get back to working on music.

cparadisi

Re: Big 3 Step Sequencer mod request

Post by cparadisi » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:01 am

I'm interested in something like this as well. I have several VST step sequencers that I don't want to start when the transport does, but rather later as I'm playing. I haven't been able to find anything that does this either. I'm guessing maybe it can't be done.

Thanks for any help or advice.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Big 3 Step Sequencer mod request

Post by [jur] » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:30 pm

You can modify any M4L device, but in this case you could simply use the "Mono Sequencer" device instead. :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator