What are the essential max 4 live devices that enhance and augment ableton Live

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
musikmachine

What are the essential max 4 live devices that enhance and augment ableton Live

Post by musikmachine » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:35 pm

Hey guys, wow it's been a while! Hope you're all staying safe and sane out there during these unprecedented times. :)

I know that's a broad question but i'll try and expand.

I'm trying to decide whether to keep suite or downgrade as i hardly use it. I rarely if ever use Max i think issues with it in the past scare me off using it in depth and the last time i used Convo it stopped my project opening and i had to go in and remove the devices so i know Max was the cause. The extent of my Max use these days is a Pomodoro timer, better not break Live gatdammit! 8O :x :lol:

Anyway i'm looking for the hidden gems, essential stuff, things that enhance the creative and production process because of the integration that i can use in racks, tool for modulating synth parameters, generative tools, synths that hold their own against 3rd party plugins, same with FX. Modular synths?!

I found this thread on muffwiggler which looks like a treasure trove so maybe covers the bases as there's a lot there: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... &start=150

Trying to get a more creative workflow going in Live as i use m&k but one of the main things i wanna do is modulate stuff in my projects to create movement in my synths and parameters without having to resort to drawing automation curves, stuff i can map to Macros and pitch and mod-wheel, even after touch would be awesome.

On that note are there any controller recommendations designed to work with Max stuff? I know isotonik do a few devices that enable this. Anything that can be used to play or jam with the max4live devices? I use Maschine and Jam so not looking for a Push atm as i don't really have space.

Payware is welcome but i'm gonna test free stuff to make sure Max is solid in Live first. Cheers!

Tone Deft

Re: What are the essential max 4 live devices that enhance and augment ableton Live

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:47 pm

if you want, do us a favor and do some searches here:
https://maxforlive.com/

OMFG the depth and breadth of what people have made is amazing. it also gives you a feel for what max4Live can and cannot do.

right now the max/msp upgrade is $200. that means you get max/msp (in itself is VERY powerful and tweakable) living inside Ableton Live, or outside.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

oratowsky

Re: What are the essential max 4 live devices that enhance and augment ableton Live

Post by oratowsky » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:57 pm

I don't really look under the hood that much anymore with max4live but I can say that the Convolution Reverb is as good as any fancy, expensive convolution plugin out there. Amazing

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Instant Haus - on the Ableton site - makes for great instant drums for use or just to drop in a track to have a background beat.

Poli Bass - I love this thing, feed it the midi from your drums and then sidechain compress it to more drums. very cool sub-bass lines that follow the groove.

might post more as I see/use them.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:50 pm

My favorite effects

Convolution Reverb
Color Limiter
Poly ( a different take on Analog)
Pitch Drop (a very useful easy to use effect)

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Alright guys, most of those i knew about. I found a few interesting ones on ELPHNTS Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/cM4kDYNs44A

Trying to get Live set up for a more streamlined workflow, so much stuff out there though but i think tools like that can really help out on the mixing and production side of things. His other videos on M4L are worth checking out as well. :)

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:43 pm

Sorry for the ugly self-promotion here, but as I usually build my devices around Live's limitations, it seems on topic.