Random filter freq with each key press (LFO?)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Sho (UK)

Random filter freq with each key press (LFO?)

Post by Sho (UK) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:07 am

Hi all!

I've started using LFO to automate a lot of parameters to add a bit of random to my tracks. I love it but it got me thinking........Is there any way or device that I can have the filter frequency on for example, an autofilter, change at random with each key press? I think it would be great to use it on bass, synth top lines or even percussion to get a bit of movement. The reason I was thinking maybe LFO could do this was that it has the keytrack in the expanded menu bit but the only thing I could get to work was making the filter change from low to high as I went from lower keys to higher keys. Whilst cool, I wanted it to be a bit more random, of course, with control over the offset/depth control.

Is this something that is possible, either with LFO or any other plugin or combination of plugins? Apologies if I haven't explained this clearly, it's late here and my brain is a bit fried from trying to work this out lol.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help or has any suggestions!

chapelier fou

Re: Random filter freq with each key press (LFO?)

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:24 am

I’ve made a device that does that. My plans were to clean the interface and share.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

michael_wedenig

Post by michael_wedenig » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:06 pm

Hey,

there is a pack on isotonikstudios that has a plugin that does that - it's not for free though... maybe there is also something on maxforlive.com

At least many synth-plugins let you do that with their built-in LFOs. You just select random or sample&hold turn the frequency down all the way so that it doesn't really change on it's own and then set the LFO to retrigger.

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/cha ... nspiration

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:15 pm

Live 11 has a updated Expression Control device that has a Random that triggers with each MIDI note.

In the Compare Editions page it is listed as available even for Intro.

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/

BTW, people are not talking about how Intro seems to have a few M4L devices now. Maybe they are waiting to see with their own eyes?

I wonder if M4L devs will be able to set their devices to work with Standard or Intro.

Personally, I expect only Ableton themselves would be able to add that ability, like the official Packs.
♥♥♥

19oclock

Post by 19oclock » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:05 am

do you mean the LFO M4L device that comes with 10? Wouldn't you just need to put a "random" object in-line with the frequency selector to turn the selector into a range and then get random frequencies between 0 and the selected Hz?

I'm thinking this may be super simple but I also don't use LFO and want to confirm. we should be able to squash this.

Sho (UK)

Post by Sho (UK) » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:06 am

chapelier fou wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:24 am
I’ve made a device that does that. My plans were to clean the interface and share.
Mate that would amazing! Controlling randomness is my new favourite thing to do when making music!

:mrgreen:

Sho (UK)

Post by Sho (UK) » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:12 am

19oclock wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:05 am
do you mean the LFO M4L device that comes with 10? Wouldn't you just need to put a "random" object in-line with the frequency selector to turn the selector into a range and then get random frequencies between 0 and the selected Hz?

I'm thinking this may be super simple but I also don't use LFO and want to confirm. we should be able to squash this.
This is cool but I think in this setup, the rate would be set by the LFO where as I want the frequency to change with a key press and stay there until another note is triggered. So my thoughts for the application would be for say, synth leads playing and time a note is played it has a random amount of low cut (within a range). Each stab is then randomly different, but the filter is consistent for the duration of the note. But not like an lfo because the lfo would sweep it. I hope I'm explaining this right 😂

Sho (UK)

Post by Sho (UK) » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:15 am

michael_wedenig wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:06 pm
Hey,

there is a pack on isotonikstudios that has a plugin that does that - it's not for free though... maybe there is also something on maxforlive.com

At least many synth-plugins let you do that with their built-in LFOs. You just select random or sample&hold turn the frequency down all the way so that it doesn't really change on it's own and then set the LFO to retrigger.

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/cha ... nspiration
Thanks bro, I will look in to your suggestions also 🙏🏼

Sho (UK)

Post by Sho (UK) » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:16 am

pottering wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:15 pm
Live 11 has a updated Expression Control device that has a Random that triggers with each MIDI note.

In the Compare Editions page it is listed as available even for Intro.

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/

BTW, people are not talking about how Intro seems to have a few M4L devices now. Maybe they are waiting to see with their own eyes?

I wonder if M4L devs will be able to set their devices to work with Standard or Intro.

Personally, I expect only Ableton themselves would be able to add that ability, like the official Packs.
Not ready to upgrade just yet so hopefully, one of the other solutions is a winner 🤞

Thanks for the reply sir

19oclock

Post by 19oclock » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:24 am

Sho (UK) wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:12 am
19oclock wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:05 am

This is cool but I think in this setup, the rate would be set by the LFO where as I want the frequency to change with a key press and stay there until another note is triggered. So my thoughts for the application would be for say, synth leads playing and time a note is played it has a random amount of low cut (within a range). Each stab is then randomly different, but the filter is consistent for the duration of the note. But not like an lfo because the lfo would sweep it. I hope I'm explaining this right 😂
I think I see what you're saying and i think you just have to put in that random object to give you that effect (in combination with a range limiter - dial etc.) and map it to the specific key's note-on behavior. Each time the note is pressed, the filter changes, and stays changed until the next time the note is pressed. You can have it remain at that setting or we can map the note-off to restore it to the previous setting, too.

Let me know if that makes sense. Parameter macros and tweaks are usually pretty simple.