perform actions based on the state of ableton

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
jantje dropveter

perform actions based on the state of ableton

Post by jantje dropveter » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:18 pm

I have no experience using Max for Live yet. I'm trying to make a fairly more advanced foot controller and I'm not sure if it is possible with max.

The pedal is a simple row of 6 push buttons that I want to correspond to the different tracks. The function would be something like:

press button n:
if track n is unarmed: -> arm track n
if track n is armed and not recording: -> start recording in next available slot
if track n is armed and recording: -> stop recording and start playing

long press button n:
if playing clip in track n -> stop playing clip
if not playing clip in track n -> start playing last recorded clip

double press button n:
delete last recorded clip in track n

It's not final and I might want to change some things so the specifics don't really matter. What matters is that the controller needs to perform specific control sequences based on the MIDI input and the current state of ableton.

From what I've gathered, Max for Live seems too limited for this purpose. I looked at MIDI remote scripts but the documentation is basically non-existent, so I am not eager to go down that rabbit hole.

Might there be a way to do this (or something close to it) in Max for Live? (or some other comprehensible software)

doubleUG

Re: perform actions based on the state of ableton

Post by doubleUG » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:32 pm

copy the text, open Live > drag in empty M4L device > open Max editor > paste > save M4L device
https://docs.cycling74.com/max8/vignett ... ng_patches

https://doubleUG.bandcamp.com/releases

pottering

Re: perform actions based on the state of ableton

Post by pottering » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:51 pm

From my limited knowledge everything you listed seems possible with Max and M4L.

Besides the LOM, the M4L Building Blocks API examples show how M4L can observe if tracks are armed or not, etc.
♥♥♥