anyone else have Emit problems ?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
No.Am

anyone else have Emit problems ?

Post by No.Am » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:27 am

Hey,
When using the new Emit instrument,
whenever loading the project again the instrument loads without the sample.
i tried doing "save all and collect" as well as "normal saving" I also tried different
.Aiff .WAV .MP3 files with no luck.
when the project loads again Emit seems unresponsive to the file that was loaded there before.
meaning I would drag the sample again into Emit but Emit won't load it.
So my workaround is I have re-export the sample and then bring it back that approach seemed to work. Without being a tech person it seems like something in the "recall" Ram of Emit is not working ( might be nonsense I will be quiet now)
so yeah would appreciate any help
Thanks!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: anyone else have Emit problems ?

Post by [jur] » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:17 pm

Mac or Win?
Ableton Forum Moderator

No.Am

Post by No.Am » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:17 pm

Mac

Dillon Bastan

Post by Dillon Bastan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:21 am

Hey!

It's hard to say without more information, but here are some thoughts/questions:

Actually, we are in the middle of figuring out some weird issue in this pack with sample protection during pack building dealing with correctly recalling samples. However, I think these only deal with the samples in the presets, but since I don't know anything about that process I'm not sure if it affects recalling any sample a user may use (doubtful though, but a possibility). If it is what is causing this issue then it should be resolved in a later release. But regardless it would be useful to know if you can load the samples with the presets ok.

Does this happen with every sample you use (from say different folder locations, etc)? If you are dropping in samples recorded in a temp Live set (a Live set that has not been previously saved) that could potentially cause some file location issues. But I wouldn't see why that would cause Emit to be unresponsive to subsequent dropping of the same sample.

After reading this and testing myself (I do not have this issue at all) I was curious why subsequent loading of the sample wouldn't do anything. there is nothing I can see in my patch that would ignore processing the same sample again. But I DO notice that the spectrogram doesn't take long to render on subsequent droppings of the same sample. Even more curious is that when I load the spectrogram for a sample in one Emit device, and then if I drop the same sample in another Emit device it also doesn't take as long to process the spectrogram as the first one. That is very curious to me (as the devices do not communicate to each other at all), and makes me wonder if there is some kind of set sample management under the hood that I'm not aware of (I've come across other similar behaviors in the past). If so, this could potentially be a realm where your issue is occurring, but if so it is beyond the scope of my devices.

Does you receive a message at the bottom for missing files/samples when they load the set? That message should indicate if it is an issue dealing with locating the file. If you do not receive the message then the issue is with loading the file.

When you load the device does the sample show in the waveform display (versus the spectrogram display)? Or are both the waveform and spectrogram display blank? If they are both blank, is there a message that says "Drop Sample Here"? Or is that message gone too? Also, if you try to playback sound, does any sound come out?

muraglia

Post by muraglia » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:27 pm

Hi. I can't drop samples into Emit: it just sits there. Same with Vector Grain. The other Inspired By Nature plugins seem ok. I'm on Live 11 Standard, 3.4GB Intel Mac, 12GB. Anyone else?

Dillon Bastan

Post by Dillon Bastan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:52 pm

muraglia wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:27 pm
Hi. I can't drop samples into Emit: it just sits there. Same with Vector Grain. The other Inspired By Nature plugins seem ok. I'm on Live 11 Standard, 3.4GB Intel Mac, 12GB. Anyone else?
Do the presets load with heir samples? If so, it could be the samples you are dropping:

(1) The live.drop object that handles sample dropping doesn't like certain special characters. Make sure the paths of the samples don't have certain special characters in them (sorry I can't remember which...). That includes any of the folders in their paths.

(2) If the samples are recorded in a temp Live set (a Live set that hasn't been saved) then I think those samples might not work.

If neither of these two points help you, perhaps try opening the max console window (by right-clicking the top of the device and press "Open Max Window") and then drop a sample and see if any error messages are printed. If so, tell me them

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:48 pm

Dillon Bastan wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:52 pm
If neither of these two points help you, perhaps try opening the max console window (by right-clicking the top of the device and press "Open Max Window") and then drop a sample and see if any error messages are printed. If so, tell me them
I can drop samples in Emit, but not in Vector Grain.

The Max window says:
buffer~: TEMP-601_3777905627_Bouzouki 01 E 100bpm.aif: can't open
buffer~: cannot open parser for this file
Live 11.3.10 on MacOS 13.5.2 (Intel)...

doubleUG

Post by doubleUG » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:21 am

look´s like a problem with Abletons Sample copy protection. What happens when you drag in a Sample which is not from a Ableton Pack?
Last edited by doubleUG on Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
copy the text, open Live > drag in empty M4L device > open Max editor > paste > save M4L device
https://docs.cycling74.com/max8/vignett ... ng_patches

https://doubleUG.bandcamp.com/releases

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:11 pm

@Tuur, might sound like a stupid question, but did you check that your Inspired By Nature pack is up-to-date?
I remember there were some fixes in this area quite some time ago.
Ableton Forum Moderator