Updating Max for Live bundled with Live 11 Suite

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
saratogacoach

Updating Max for Live bundled with Live 11 Suite

Post by saratogacoach » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:57 pm

Am a beginner using Live 11 Suite and its included/bundled Max for Live. While working in Max for Live today, noticed that an update (8.1.10) is available. Since my copy of Max for Live is included/bundled with Live 11 Suite, not a separate installation, is there a way to update Max for Live within the Live Suite? Would I need to install a separate Max for Live version on my computer, set the preferences to point to it, and then update the separately installed version to 8.1.10? Not sure how this is done?

Any help, suggestions appreciated. Thank you in advance.
saratogacoach

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Updating Max for Live bundled with Live 11 Suite

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:38 pm

saratogacoach wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:57 pm
Would I need to install a separate Max for Live version on my computer, set the preferences to point to it
Yep. Just download and install the Max standalone software, then in Live's "files folders" Preferences you'll find an option to use an external Max build.
But if you're not sure why you're doing this then you don't really need to do it, and you can stick to the builtin one.
Ableton Forum Moderator

saratogacoach

Re: Updating Max for Live bundled with Live 11 Suite

Post by saratogacoach » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:34 pm

Thank you for your helpful reply.

Downloaded the separate version, successfully pointed to its folder in Preferences. Looks like all is working. :)

Best Wishes,
saratogacoach