M4L issue with Live 11 (automation and device not passing midi or audio)

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Calagan

M4L issue with Live 11 (automation and device not passing midi or audio)

Post by Calagan » Mon May 03, 2021 4:13 pm

Hi there

I started to rehearse for future gigs, and I used for this my good old Live set that was working perfectly for me in Live 10.

I updated to Live 11 when it was released, and so far I didn't have issues with it (I did mainly mixing these last months), but when I started recently to use the Live set I was using on stage with Live 10, I started to have strange some issues, that I think are related to automation (my Live set for the stage is an automation nightmare : there are plenty of groups, racks, chains, scenes, and everything is turned on and off, automated, etc. etc.).

One of the issues I had has to see with the use of M4L devices : after recalling the session, a M4L arp and a Drum Synth Kick (each contained into the official "Max for Live Essentials Pack") were not passing midi or audio.

I needed to replace them with the exact same device, and set it the same way, to make them work again.
After saving, closing the session, and recalling it, the Drum Synth Kicks were working but the Arp was not working and is still not working. Each time, I need to replace it with the same device, so of course it's not possible during a live gig.

It happens that there is an on/off automation on the Arp device during the song ("Device on" automation), and each device (Arp and kick) are racked into a subgroup that is turned off and on depending on the song.
So it may be related to this "device on" automation.

Anyone here experienced problems with M4L in Live 11, and specifically with automation ?

Calagan

Re: M4L issue with Live 11 (automation and device not passing midi or audio)

Post by Calagan » Mon May 03, 2021 4:14 pm

By the way, i'm using Live 11.0.1 on mac Mojave...

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon May 03, 2021 6:48 pm

Annoying...
Any messages in the Max window ? (Right click on the device header)
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Mon May 03, 2021 7:26 pm

Hi Chapelier fou (ah ah, great name)

I didn't know I could get any info in the max window (I don't know nothing about M4L)
I followed your advice, and here is what I get (I've got plenty of the same messages repeated on and on, so I only reproduced here the main messages) :

notes: bad number
Arp.amxd • live.remote~: Live API is not initialized, use live.thisdevice to determine when initialization is complete
Arp Control 1.3.amxd • live.remote~: Live API is not initialized, use live.thisdevice to determine when initialization is complete
Arp.amxd • live.remote~: Setting the Id cannot be triggered by notifications. You will need to defer your response.

And it goes on and on...

What does it mean ?
(sorry I'm a terrible noob and I feel dumb)

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Mon May 03, 2021 7:33 pm

I found that on internet : it seems it has to see with the fact that "I try to interact with the Live API before it is fully initialized".

I think it is linked to the fact I'm launching a scene that turn on the Arp with all the other audio and midi clips, and it seems it goes too quick for the device. Does it mean Live is running before the arp is initialized, so it doesn't work ?
I don't understand much more...
And I don't understand why it was working perfectly with Live 10, and it's not with Live 11 - specially that it's not a third party M4L device, it's from the "official" Live pack (the Arp Control 1.3.amxd is there because I tried to replace the arp with this, but with no success)...

It could be great if you could understand the issue...

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon May 03, 2021 8:55 pm

Could you maybe share a stripped down version of your live set (but still making the bug happen) and share ?

Oh, and of course, contact support !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Tue May 04, 2021 6:09 pm

hi there

Thanks for your help...
I was in rehearsal all the day so I couldn't reply before.

I'll try to send a live set where the problem is isolated, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do it : in he same set I've got few songs (scenes) with the M4L Arp and I don't have the same issue.
I'll try to isolate the rack, keep the automations, but replace the plugins with built-in Live stuff (because right now it's plenty of third party stuff).
I'll keep you in touch, but anyway thanks a lot for your help...

ChaseBowman

Post by ChaseBowman » Sat May 21, 2022 9:34 am

hi there,....

I've been having the same problem with multiple devices... I have to replace them often to get them to send midi after re-opening a Live set.

Did you find a solution?