CALLING ANY EXPERIENCED USERS OF CHORD-O-MAT 3

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
slothmusik

CALLING ANY EXPERIENCED USERS OF CHORD-O-MAT 3

Post by slothmusik » Wed May 19, 2021 7:56 pm

I am trying to set up a Live set using this M4L device, but have had marginal success to date. I'm unsure as to how to slave Chord-O-Mat across multiple tracks, and although I have reached out to the developer, and have had some trouble communicating ... which may just be me. Have studied the owner's manual, and don't get it, which again may just be me.

Anyone with experience on this?

Thanks!

pottering

Re: CALLING ANY EXPERIENCED USERS OF CHORD-O-MAT 3

Post by pottering » Thu May 20, 2021 8:06 am

Here it works just like the "Instant Scale Device" section of its manual describes.

https://www.soundmanufacture.net/manual/chordomat/

Add Chord-O-Mat3 to one track, a instance of Instant Scale (filename is actually "InstantScale.amxd") to the other tracks, press "instant scales" in the Chord-O-Mat3 device, set whatever Group (Instant Scale defaults to Group 01) from "off" to "Scale" or "Chord" (I prefer "pitched" over "gated" as well).
♥♥♥

slothmusik

Post by slothmusik » Thu May 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Thanks so much for the walkthrough! I really appreciate it, especially if this can work the way I hope it could.

For starters, I followed you advice, and set up one track with Chord-O-Mat on it, plus a piano VST. On track 2, I added an instance of Scale-O-Mat, plus a flute VST.

I am using a random MIDI controller (Intermorphic Wotja), which will send different patterns to each track using LoopMIDI to connect Wotja to Live.

Unfortunately, track 2 receives no MIDI when Scale-O-Mat is active. When not, track 2 receives MIDI data.

I feel so dense here, but I'm really trying to see if this works ... with the goal of a melody on track 2 riffing on the chord generated in track 1.
I've attached a few screen shots.

Thanks again for being willing to help with this!!

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri May 21, 2021 12:07 am

I know almost nothing about Scale-o-Mat, as I only own Chord-O-Mat.

Chord-O-Mat comes with a "Instant Scale" device bundled, which is not Scale-o-Mat.

It is Instant Scale you should add to track 2. Also I recommend you toggle "gated" to "pitched" in the groups in the Instant Scale Remote section, otherwise you get missing notes in the "gaps" of the scales (they are "gated out", that is, blocked, just Like Live's Scale if you disable a column).

Not sure if Chord-O-Mat works directly with Scale-o-Mat, the manual doesn't seem to point that way, it just says both Chord-O-Mat and Scale-o-Mat can communicate with Instant Scale (again, it is a third device, it is not Scale-o-Mat).

Also, I'm pretty sure Chord-O-Mat doesn't send chords (or MIDI) that way, it only changes the scale in the instances of Instant Scale (it works like Live's Scale device).

Chord-O-Mat actually can route MIDI, but it is by using the "Route to selected Miditrack" button in the bottom right. If you have another MIDI Track selected and click that button, it will change the Arm button to dark red and send MIDI to that track (LOL, this is so weird to me, but it works, awesome actually, don't know any other device that does that).
♥♥♥

slothmusik

Post by slothmusik » Fri May 21, 2021 1:03 am

thanks so much.
I'm not sure that this is a solution for what I am seeking, but it's great to better understand what it DOES do!

thanks again