Assigning Macro Buttons on Push(2) in Device Pages?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
braduro

Assigning Macro Buttons on Push(2) in Device Pages?

Post by braduro » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:32 pm

Hi! Complete greenie coming through: recently discovered the live.banks patcher/object (please feel free to correct my nomenclature), and this has inspired my use of the Push in more composition. This object allows for parameters in a m4l device to be assigned to the macro encoders in banks. However, if I assigned all the buttons on any particular device to encoders, they would not be as responsive as they would be with a corresponding button. Also, I'd be using up bank pages and moving between them, causing more friction in the Push workflow. And furthermore the corresponding i/o and other related options (step mute and step note as an example) would be spread across separate pages or more loosely related in the same row...)
Furthermore, User mode on the push is prime real estate. I'd rather not use this for local midi assignments, but rather save those cc numbers for more global solutions (like Clyphx and arsenal, for example)
How would I assign toggles, buttons, switches to the Macro Buttons on a Push instead of the encoders?
Cheers to you!

gross9978

Re: Assigning Macro Buttons on Push(2) in Device Pages?

Post by gross9978 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:39 am

You’d need to look into the LOM and use max to write it into the max for live device itself. It’s complicated but once you get your head around it it’s not to bad and you only have to really do it once, then you can copy paste into different devices. The cycling 74 forum has tons of useful info on it. Be careful, it’s a rabbit hole haha.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:40 am

Or if you want the shortcut go and find Push Hacker by Sound Manufacture, it's the best re-mapping Push device there is..

Cheers
D

braduro

Post by braduro » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:14 pm

What do I owe this honor of the very same S4racen on the Cycling74 boards, not to mention I have followed your lead on a number of solutions for Push and Ableton.
It's seemingly a modest ask to think that the macro buttons on a push when in Device mode would bank with the macro knobs, doesn't it?
I have a few of Tim's devices, including Chord-o-mat, which I never thought I'd like for the paint-by-numbers manner of chord forming, but rather for a scratch pad or palette where I can notate all the chord choices that are my current good contenders. And I'm really happy with his selection over there.
The push hacker is something I'm fundamentally a bit conflicted about. I like the universality of the Push. I like that Stray has solutions that are also musical, are contingent on my level of buy-in, and work elegantly in the code without throwing a max device at a solution. I'd rather go that route.

I could go on, but I've been on the fence for some time. Perhaps if Andri at Push Bible incorporates it into his Advanced course and concludes that there are some empirical or universally embraced improvements that he can propose, then I will be further persuaded. And granted, the intro price of 20 for a complete rebuild might justify taking the plunge in any case.
https://wrkshp.thinkific.com

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:12 am

This is the issue....

macro buttons = No such thing.... They have many functions depending on the context of your usage so are already mapped.

You can dynamically change what the Encoders are mapped to in a MaxforLive device however by send a message to the Live.Banks device.

Cheers
D

braduro

Post by braduro » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:51 pm

ah right, they're referred to as "upper display buttons", and the encoders are just referred to as encoders...
Yeah, live.banks object is where I began this pursuit. I though there might be a more tidy way to map the pages of a device by make a button be a button. But if that's how the cookie crumbles, that's probably as much depth as I can handle...