Has anybody had success using Surround Panner with Midi controller?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
ShrimpUSA

Has anybody had success using Surround Panner with Midi controller?

Post by ShrimpUSA » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:22 am

I feel like I've googled this subject to the ends of the Internet. The Surround Panner is so cool in Ableton... except I can't find an elegant midi solution to control the X & Y axis. I have a concert coming up with speakers all over the place, it would be great to NOT have to really on individual faders for sends to speakers, and use the surround panner with a physical piece of gear.

Has anybody used the Surround Panner in this way?

Korhan

Re: Has anybody had success using Surround Panner with Midi controller?

Post by Korhan » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:56 pm

Can you please elaborate?
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

isophase

Post by isophase » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:10 am

Hello,
I have the same issue as ShrimpUSA.
I’m trying to control the surround panner with an XY midi controler from Touch OSC but it looks like the midi note is the same on both X and Y parameters (CC14) so I can only control the surround panner on one axis.
I would like to be able to control the surround panner « dot position » in 2 dimensions with the midi controler, as with using the computer trackpad, to make the sound travel between the speakers.
I’m sure there is a solution to this, but i am no expert at all with midi control so I need help!
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Best regards,
Jonathan

isophase

Post by isophase » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:59 am

Anyone can help?
I did search on internet about OSC XY pad control, and it seems there is the need for an extra module/programme in order to split the information from the XY pad into two separate channels for it to work as panner control?
Is the a more simple way to do it? And avoid installing an extra program?
Or does someone have a internet link where it is explained ?
Thank you!
Jonathan

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:17 pm

I guess it's because Touch OSC sends both CCs at the "same time", so the MIDI learn function in Live gets confused and only retains the latest CC. XY Pads in general are a pain to map to Live.
You could figure out what is the other CC sent by TouchOSC (I would guess CC 13 ?) and manually, with another controller or TouchOSC template, midi learn the parameter in Live.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

isophase

Post by isophase » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:02 pm

Thank you for your response.
I cannot change manually the affected midi note in the midi mapping mode. I’m sure it’s possible but I am really not good at this stuff.
I was hoping there was a more simple way.
Thank you none the less.
Let’s see if there is another way or trick to do this.
It’s strange that the XY pad sends only one information, it should really be x and y left/right and up/down separately.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:19 pm

isophase wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:02 pm
It’s strange that the XY pad sends only one information, it should really be x and y left/right and up/down separately.
It probably does send two CCs, as I wrote before. That's precisely the problem.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:39 am

Live's MIDI Learn (or midi learn in general) doesn't work well with MIDI controller components that send several MIDI CCs simultaneously, such as XY Pads on TouchOSC or Lemur. However, as Live's Surround panner has separate dials for X and Y, all you have to do is to make sure you move your finger on only the X axis on TouchOSC when you're learning for the X axis on the panner and the same for Y... and visually check if the parameter on Live has the correct MIDI CC assigned to it.

Furthermore, you keep saying MIDI Note. You mean MIDI CC, right? assigning a MIDI Note to a continuous parameter hardly makes sense. A note is an on/off command. I would suggest learning more about MIDI commands in general.
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol