xp4l out for live 10 and 11

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
xp4l

xp4l out for live 10 and 11

Post by xp4l » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I would like to inform you that after an artistic research residency at Ircam, and several months of development, I m releasing xp for live (xp4l), a fully integrated solution designed to expand with simplicity Ableton Live potential toward the field of spatial sound design and performance.

The goal of xp4l is to provide Ableton users with a flexible and simplified environment to create 3d audio projects. It is made of a free m4l (max-for-live) suit consisting of 5 devices and a standalone application that users have to purchase.

Given the challenge of developing such features in Ableton Live, it was nonetheless important to try to retain as much as possible the spirit of what makes its workflow unique, a balance in the direction of artistic creativity and live spontaneity.

The project is partly based on Ircam Spat library, a max-msp object library unique for its ability to simulate virtual acoustic spaces. Therefore, xp4l is intended for past, new or future users of the Spat library. Although possible before xp4l existed, accessing the library from Ableton Live in the max-for-live environment through a flexible format by users was made complex, and this fact deprived the majority of creators from taking advantage of this incredible tool. xp4l provides Ableton users with a solution that will alleviate this problem.

xp4l comes with literally a lot of functionalities. Few of them :
- all format supported up to 62 channels
- all spatialization type (hoa, vbap, etc)
- binaural
- 3d monitor view
- record you multichannel audio stream
- virtual room simulation (with reflection in 3d)
- animation of sources

Everything is here : www.xp4l.com

I do believe that xp can unlock spatialization work with Ableton through a really complete approach. Whether you want to create immersive content for movie, immersive performance, installation etc, xp offers some several advances. It's the first version, but more cool features are already in the pipeline!

Best,
Eric