Device to send sysex to synth?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
blof_eld

Device to send sysex to synth?

Post by blof_eld » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:40 am

I'm a complete beginner in m4l with no idea what I'm doing.

I want to create a device to assign a knob to send a sysex command to my synth (Roland V-Synth GT) to modify the "Start Offset" parameter.

From the V-Synth GT midi implementation https://www.roland.com/au/support/by_pr ... s_manuals/, this is what I need to send, although most waves won't be long enough to have FFFFFFF samples, so I would need to set an upper limit for the value that the knob can send:

I saw https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... Ex-support and that said that it is possible to send sysex from Ableton.

I'm sure this has already been done, can anyone point me to a device that I can hopefully use as a template and easily modify to do what I want, or some kind of tutorial?

Valiumdupeuple

Re: Device to send sysex to synth?

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:45 am

This device sends sysex to control a hardware synth (Neutron). Hopefully it can help you seeing the principles.
Honestly, I don't remember how I did, that's the only tume I patched with sysex in M4L and I just remember it was quite a brainstorming with sysex docs analysis. But once you understand the formating you're good to go.
Good luck :wink:

blof_eld

Post by blof_eld » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:19 am

Great, thanks for the heads up.

I'll try to have a go at it this weekend.

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:05 am

If you check out emucontrol on the max4live I created a patch to send sysex to Emu samplers. It could be out of date though as I believe you can now send and receive sysex on a single channel (I haven't checked though). Back when I created that patch I had to use two separate channels.