Polyrhythmic Melodic Sequencer: TimeSTING?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
GuyaGuy

Polyrhythmic Melodic Sequencer: TimeSTING?

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:49 am

I'm looking for a sequencer for Ableton that can do polyrhythmic note sequences (not polymeter). I see the Time and Timbre TimeSTING allows for various step lengths, Does it also do non-standard divisions for polyrhythms?

Here's what I'm looking for:

- sequences notes not drums
- spits out MIDI to talk to the outside world
- allows for more complex polyrhythmic ratios
- at least 16 steps
- some kind of clip/pattern activation
- good interface--especially when using Push 2

I've looked at or tried Snake, Polyrhthmus, Step Divider, and several others. They all either mostly do drums or don't support Push. Any other suggestions?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Polyrhythmic Melodic Sequencer: TimeSTING?

Post by [jur] » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:58 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:49 am
Does it also do non-standard divisions for polyrhythms?
I always forget the difference between polyrhythm and polymeter, but yes TimeSting allows for non-standard time divisions (if you mean e.g 17/5 or things like that).
Ableton Forum Moderator

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:13 pm

Step Divider can do polyrhythms and non-drum notes, but it doesn't have "some kind of clip/pattern activation" without clicking with mouse

(Note that "drums" are normal MIDI notes, around C1 octave, even with a drum sequencer you can use Pitch or Scale devices to transpose and shift the notes.)

Skinnerbox TimeSting is monophonic, but Skinnerbox Time (of the same pack) can do polyrhythms, up to 32 steps. You can assign any note to each row, but it has only 6 rows (that is, 6 notes, you would need more instances for more). You can rotate/shift the pattern, randomize and change play direction per row.

It does have MIDI trigger for pattern change, from C-2 to E3, a pattern per note.

(I don't own Push to test the Push options. It does seem to have some Push stuff.)
♥♥♥

GuyaGuy

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:56 am

[jur] wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:58 pm
GuyaGuy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:49 am
Does it also do non-standard divisions for polyrhythms?
I always forget the difference between polyrhythm and polymeter, but yes TimeSting allows for non-standard time divisions (if you mean e.g 17/5 or things like that).
Polyrhythm: You and I start together, , you play 4, I play 5 beats, we start again together on the 1
Polymeter: You and I start together, I play , you play 4, 5 beats but it's just adding an extra beat so it takes 20 beats to land on the 1 together.
pottering wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:13 pm
Step Divider can do polyrhythms and non-drum notes, but it doesn't have "some kind of clip/pattern activation" without clicking with mouse

(Note that "drums" are normal MIDI notes, around C1 octave, even with a drum sequencer you can use Pitch or Scale devices to transpose and shift the notes.)

Skinnerbox TimeSting is monophonic, but Skinnerbox Time (of the same pack) can do polyrhythms, up to 32 steps. You can assign any note to each row, but it has only 6 rows (that is, 6 notes, you would need more instances for more). You can rotate/shift the pattern, randomize and change play direction per row.

It does have MIDI trigger for pattern change, from C-2 to E3, a pattern per note.

(I don't own Push to test the Push options. It does seem to have some Push stuff.)
Thanks a lot for info. Yeah, it doesn't sound like it quite does what I'm looking for. T&T does seem really cool for drums though.

BUT...after posting I skimmed the M4L page and found SEEDS from Novel Music and it's pretty much exactly what I want. It's a suite of 2 sequencers, 2 clocks, modulators, and a Hub tool to link everything together. It can do polyrhythms, polymeters, polyrhythmic polymeters, Euclidian and stochastic stuff, and lots more. There's even a custom Push interface for it. And it's even on sale!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFiZf44 ... NovelMusic

https://www.novelmusic.org/m4l/seeds