UI not updating in real time

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Arctyx

UI not updating in real time

Post by Arctyx » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:23 pm

I'm on Windows 11, Ableton 11.0.11, Max 8. Since switching to Ableton 11/Windows 11 my Max4Live devices have been non-responsive in the UI. Moving knobs and controls does update the value but it doesn't update in the UI. This becomes extremely difficult to use and makes most M4L devices useless for me. I've tried using the bundled version of Max as well as the older version of Max. Switching back to Windows 10 would be very difficult at this point as well. Has anyone run into this yet?

jlgrimes

Re: UI not updating in real time

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:44 pm

Arctyx wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:23 pm
I'm on Windows 11, Ableton 11.0.11, Max 8. Since switching to Ableton 11/Windows 11 my Max4Live devices have been non-responsive in the UI. Moving knobs and controls does update the value but it doesn't update in the UI. This becomes extremely difficult to use and makes most M4L devices useless for me. I've tried using the bundled version of Max as well as the older version of Max. Switching back to Windows 10 would be very difficult at this point as well. Has anyone run into this yet?
I had this in Windows 10 and Ableton 11 on most Max devices.

I believe the beta fixed this.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:24 pm

You should contact support@ableton.com
Ableton Forum Moderator

tobiasn

Post by tobiasn » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:18 pm

I'm having the same issues (sort of, but seems related) - in Live 10, on PC only.

If I load devices like Envelope Follower or LFO, Live is unresponsive between 10 and 30 seconds before it reacts again. I can sometimes move knobs a little bit before it stops working again.

It was not always like this, but since I move a lot between Mac - where this is not an issue - and PC, I can't really pinpoint when it started bugging out.

I've tried enabling and disabling HiDPI mode, I've tried the options.txt trick as suggested here, nothing seems to work consistently. I've also updated the display drivers, checked on different monitor setups - but I just have one card in the PC (NVIDIA 1080TI), so been unable to check any compatability issues.

It's 100% sure that it's the graphical updates in the M4L windows that is the issue. Whenever I manage to close the plugin windows, ie hide the LFOs etc, Live is responsive again.

I'm sure this is not unique, but it's hard to search for as the bug is so strage and hard to describe. I'll dive more into this and also follow up the official support channels, and try to update in the forums if I get anywhere.