Help needed: M4L devices not reacting to mouse / input

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
oishii19

Help needed: M4L devices not reacting to mouse / input

Post by oishii19 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:04 pm

Dear Forum Members

Since installing live 11 suite I cannot use any M4L devices anymore as they are not reacting to mouse inputs, neither click and drag nor mousewheel. Also, I cannot use or activate any switch/button in the devices.

Controlling inputs via Push works, also all stock plugins work. Changing controls values via the max editor also works, back in the main Ableton windows they showtime changed value but I still cannot control them.

I contacted support already (no solution so far), and I also erased everything except the activation info from my computer and did a clean install… no improvements.

I am on windows 10, latest updates, pretty clean machine, nothing too fancy…

Does anybody have had this problem before and solved it? Also, happy about any other idea how to solve this.

Kind of desperate, all the best and many thanks in advance…

Oishii

pottering

Re: Help needed: M4L devices not reacting to mouse / input

Post by pottering » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:45 am

Maybe it is a problem similar to DPI mismatch that happened way back in Live 10's first Hi-DPI betas (years ago), basically the GUI display and the actual "hitboxes" for knobs, sliders, etc. are different DPI, and hence have different sizes and places.

I don't recall how that was fixed (didn't have the problem myself), maybe a GPU setting, or a Windows DPI settings.
♥♥♥

oishii19

Post by oishii19 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:02 pm

Hi pottering

That did it! Thanks!

Please allow me to provide a bit of background: My primary display was set to 150% scaling, as it has a rather high resolution. The seconday display I have had the Live window displayed upon hat a scaling of 100% but Live, or rather M4L, apparently derives the scaling from the primary display and thus miscalculates all mouse inputs.

After setting every display's scaling to 100%, the M4L plugins reacted accordingly to mouse inputs --- now I will either invest in magnifying glasses for my main window or adjust the scaling every time I use Live :)

In any case --- mystery solved with your help!

Thanks again

oishii

m:o

Post by m:o » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:13 pm

I have exactly the same issue - m4l devices not responding to mouse action - on win 10 in Live 11.1 and the newest beta L11.1.b5. Also i have 2 monitors, one is scaled to 150% as your setting. But changing both monitors to 100% did not solved my problem. I also started a ticket but the tips which came from support, did not solved the problem. I deinstalled the second monitor, adjustet all HDPI settings guided by support, but my m4l devices won`t work. As i depend on them (Mbase editor, Nord Modular controller, Division Department controller) i cant update from L11.0.12 -sad. Any other tips?

randi

Post by randi » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:43 pm

Try moving the position of the monitor which has the M4l devices. I had to move mine all the way to the bottom, so that the 2 screens aligned (at the bottom)

Post by m:o » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:24 pm

Hi Randi, i'm nor sure what you mean by moving the position. You mean in the Windows Screen options? The problem of unresponsive m4l devices persists even when the second monitor is disabled and uninstalled in windows. So it`s not dependend on the m4l devices showed on the second screen, if that is what you mean. I tried all two monitors scaling to 100%, completely disabled the second one. nothing helps....all m4l devices stopped responding to mouse actions.

randi

Post by randi » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:35 pm

I had a confirmed bug last year, with exactly that error description. Now as Live does "funky" things on Windows when it comes to scaling, I would not trust that a simple disabling of the second screen will fix things. I can only offer my workaround (from the ticket with Ableton):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pJ9wVviJkMCQReTK6 this DOES NOT work

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QrBMsuGsCG6nXSuu6 this DOES work

As the status of my ticket is still "open" (but confirmed to be fixed later), it would seem that this bug has not been fixed yet. So worth a try ;-)

Post by m:o » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:56 am

Ok, Randi, thanks! If i understand you correctly, the placement of the second monitor aligned to the first at the lower margin, masks the whole gui for m4l devices? In my case i have 2 Monitors. I have set the second one upwards on the right, like in your picture, but it wont work.
This has cleared the Problem for you? I can imagine that a massive amount of users must have the same problem with the m4l devices, when they use more than one monitor.....