Make live.dial accessible to OSC Send but NOT to automation recording

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
StudioBB

Make live.dial accessible to OSC Send but NOT to automation recording

Post by StudioBB » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:29 pm

Hi,

I am using Live 11 and M4L 8, on a I7 Thinkpad laptop with a freshly installed Windows 10 pro, fully up to date with a RME Babyface and its latest drivers.

I will try to explain shortly my problem.
I am developing a M4L device with 2 live.dial, the first one is controllable by the GUI and the second is calculated and updated from the first one inside my M4L device.

I need to send the value of the second one to a Midas M32 with the "OSC Send" M4L device, this is why I make it visible in the GUI, because it seems "OSC send" can only map GUI-visible parameters.

The problem is, when I record automation for the first one, the second one moves also because it is linked by computation, and the automation of this second is also recorder, which is not what I want.

So, for the second one, in the M4L interface object inspector, I turned "Parameter Visibility" to "Stored Only". Nice! it's automation is no more recorded when it moves. But now It is no more visible to OSC Send, which is not what I want!

So how can I make a live.dial visible to OSC Send without recording its automation?

Thanks!

StudioBB

Re: Make live.dial accessible to OSC Send but NOT to automation recording

Post by StudioBB » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:27 pm

I have just tried but it doesn't work because the OSC Send device cannot map non-live objects.

Would there be a way to prevent recording automation of a specific parameter?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:18 pm

You could try using the new (since L11) midi in/out abstractions in M4L to use midi in "parallel" to Live tracks' midi signal flow.
Ableton Forum Moderator

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:42 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:18 pm
You could try using the new (since L11) midi in/out abstractions in M4L to use midi in "parallel" to Live tracks' midi signal flow.
Which are only available in Max Audio Devices.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

StudioBB

Post by StudioBB » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:39 am

Thank you for your answers!

Finally I chose the option to develop my own OSC Send inside my Max For Live device, but now I found that there is a bug in the M32 that freezes the console when it receives too much OSC messages.

My option is now to try to control the M32 with OSC over MIDI Sysex.

Can you please tell me where I can read about this new feature in Live 11, the midi in/out abstraction in Max for live Audio devices? I've searched around but did not find.

Thank you!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:21 pm

StudioBB wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:39 am
Can you please tell me where I can read about this new feature in Live 11, the midi in/out abstraction in Max for live Audio devices? I've searched around but did not find.
Sorry, I forgot this thread. Read this
Ableton Forum Moderator