M4L and Apple Silicon / ARM

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Calagan

M4L and Apple Silicon / ARM

Post by Calagan » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:21 pm

Hi everybody...

What about M4L and the new Apple Silicon / ARM macs ?

I'm not familiar with the way Max is working under the hood in Live. I guess the compatibility of each M4L device with the OS or hard/soft architecture it is used on depends on the Max version used more than on the M4L devices themselves, but maybe I'm wrong.

Do any of you have noticed issues with M4L on the new ARM macs ?
Or, at contrary, do you have noticed it works much better/smoother ?
Or absolutely the same ?

I will upgrade my old macbook pro soon, and in my live sets I use some old M4L devices. Right now it's working ok in Live 11/Catalina, but I'm a bit anxious I will need to find alternatives if some devices don't work as expected.

Pitch Black

Re: M4L and Apple Silicon / ARM

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:50 pm

Do any of you have noticed issues with M4L on the new ARM macs ?

There's been a couple of bumps on the road but nothing major. Some M4L components need to be updated to ARM, and these have been continuing apace. For example Convolution reverb and Convolution Reverb Pro needed some updates which are now out and working perfectly. That was the main one that seemed to crop up for most users, but is now addressed.

Or, at contrary, do you have noticed it works much better/smoother ? Or absolutely the same ?

Hard to say, had no issues with anything else M4L personally. I haven't noticed any increase or decrease with M4L specifically, but of course I'm seeing a massive improvements overall in audio performance from my 2015 RMBP. This feels like biggest computer upgrade I've had in 25 years of owning Macs :D

Might pay to ask the forum about specific M4L devices you're using if you have any worries.

HTH
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:42 am

Pitch Black summed it up perfectly.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:46 am

[jur] wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:42 am
:oops: awwww missed you guys over the weekend...

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:50 am

Thanks a lot.
It seems I don’t have to worry much...

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:57 am

Youre welcome! Sing out if you have any specific M4L devices you'd like us to test.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Soundcloud

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:22 am

Pitch Black wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:57 am
Youre welcome! Sing out if you have any specific M4L devices you'd like us to test.
Thanks a lot (again).
If by any chance you've got the time to test some of these devices : http://jgarcia.hungry.jp/

It's not been updated since few years, but I use them a lot - specially Manual CC mapper or Solo... I think can replace Manual CC mapper (with Expression Control), but I don't think I can replace Solo and I built a whole vocal FX rack on this device (so I would be very annoyed if it doesn't work on a M1 machine). My use of solo is to be able to solo a track among a selection of 4 tracks, while keeping all the other tracks unaffected.

Solo is : http://jgarcia.hungry.jp/project/solo-beta/ or
Manual CC mapper : http://jgarcia.hungry.jp/project/manual-cc-mapper/ or https://maxforlive.com/library/device/2 ... -cc-mapper

If you don't have time, don't worry : I'll know sooner or later (my new machine will be at home in 10 days)

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:24 am

By the way, how do you test the stability and good compatibility of a M4L device ? Is there a test I can use ?
I've got huge Live sets, filled with plenty of different stuff, so sometime I don't know if I have an issue because of plugin A, plugin B or M4L device C...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:39 pm

Calagan wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:24 am
By the way, how do you test the stability and good compatibility of a M4L device ? Is there a test I can use ?
I've got huge Live sets, filled with plenty of different stuff, so sometime I don't know if I have an issue because of plugin A, plugin B or M4L device C...
The only device that needs to be updated are the ones that use non-m1 externals. Most of the most used externals have already been updated by their developers.
You could directly ask the M4L device's developer if its device is using any external.

[edit] From the devices' description and what they're doing, it's 99% sure they're not using any external.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:26 am

Pitch Black wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:46 am
[jur] wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:42 am
:oops: awwww missed you guys over the weekend...
That's not true, I saw you talking with other people!
:lol:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:28 am

Solo and Manual Mapper both working fine :)

Glad to find that Solo device - very handy!
Soundcloud

Calagan

Post by Calagan » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:59 pm

Thanks a lot for the info Pitch Black.

Yep, this guy is making nice M4L devices...

Bigbee

Post by Bigbee » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:37 pm

Hi. I'm having an issue, maybe someone can address.
I used the Convolution Reverb Pro Max for Live device that was bundled with the "Max For Live Essentials" pack. I used that device ALL THE TIME. Many (most) of my sessions from years past have an instance of that reverb plugin.

Earlier this year I started using an M1 Mac Mini (2020 version). With Live 11.2.7, I needed to re-install Convolution Pro.amxd because the original version was not compatible with the M1 mac.

My problem: I cannot simply replace or hot-swap the device. Because the new device is in a different file location. The new device is a "stand-alone" pack; It is not part of the Max For Live Essentials pack. The problem is that I need to know which preset I was using. And if I simply replace the device, I cannot see which preset I was using.

Does this sound crazy? I feel crazy because it should be so so simple. But it's driving me crazy - just trying to get my sessions working the way they used to .

Please help if you can!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:56 am

Hey Bigbee,
Did you try using the manage project feature?
If you didn't install the old Convolution Reverb version Live will prompt you with a message that the device is missing.
If you click the message it will open the manage project window; in here you'll see the missing Convolution device listed; drag'n'drop the new version over here and it will replace the old one with the new one... and hopefully will remember the correct settings.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Bigbee

Post by Bigbee » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:19 am

OK thanks! I will try this and get back to you! Thank you for the advice!